Sunday, August 7, 2011

I Came, I Rode, I Conquered


Oh my, what a weekend!! 

For the past 48 hours, I've been pushing myself to the limit, mentally, physically and emotionally. This past weekend, I went for a goal I've set for myself and had every intention of achieving it. 

I attended RPM Training.  RPM is a cycling class from the Les Mills Fitness company.  I began taking Les Mills classes at my gym a few years ago and completely fell in love.  A few months ago, I also fell in love with a particular class…RPM.  

RPM stands for Raw Power in Motion and let me tell you, the class lives up to its name. Its also quite different than your average spin class in that it's a fully engaged and rounded cycling experience that takes you through all aspects of riding terrain while you power through intense and inspiring music.  It's basically a huge endorphin high that kicks my butt every single time and I absolutely love it. 


I went into this weekend not really knowing what to expect other than that I would learn a ton, ride my butt off, and hopefully come back with a mind changing experience and another certification to add to my fitness career. 

Day One: 

Breakfast



I wasn't sure exactly how to fuel for the first day since I didn't know when and how hard we would be riding.  I decided overnight oats would probably be the best because it would give me enough energy and keep me full the longest.  I prepped this without dairy in the instance that I would be jumping right into a hard core workout. (Dairy never sits well in those situations for me) 

The first day was tough.  We learned the routine, practiced techniques, and ended the day with what is called "The Ride of Truth."  This was a test to make sure we were all physically fit enough to be able to teach and perform an intense fitness class at the same time.  I think they should have called it "The Ride of Death" because this hour ride was KILLER! 

I made it through and came home sooooo happy to have an amazing husband who made me an incredible dinner. 

Grilled Salmon Salad 

This was also a necessity….


I spent most of the evening going over my track that I was expected to teach and be graded on for the next day.

Day Two:

Breakfast 


Since I had some more time this morning and I knew we wouldn't be riding hard for a little while, I decided to go for a little dairy and more protein with this morning's breakfast.

1/4 C Kashi Go Lean Crunch, Peach Chobani, Peach, Blackberries, Granola, Almond Butter, Chia Seeds

We rode quite a bit today, first about an hour and a half to practice, more practice in between and then another hour and a half to do the final routine to be graded.

We got breaks in between where I usually ate power bars, bananas, and PB sandwiches. Nothing exciting enough to photograph but just the right amount to fuel me through an 8 hour workout.

I was feeling pretty good about my track and when it was my turn, I gave it everything I had. After I was done, I still felt pretty good about it but I wasn't 100% sure if I was going to pass.

Basically, there were 3 outcomes…Pass, Pass Withheld or Re-sit.  If I received a pass, that means I was good to go and could start team teaching at my gym.  A Pass Withheld meant I would have to go back to my gym and work with another trainer for a few weeks and have them sign off on my before I could start teaching.  And a re-sit would be I would need to retake the training.

After a nerve wracking period of time, I finally received my grade…..


AHHHH!!! I passed!!!

The smile was so big on my face that I could barely keep it from showing the whole drive home.

So what does this mean?  Well, it means I'll be going back to my gym and start by team teaching, hopefully this week.  Once I get the entire routine down 100%, I then videotape myself teaching a class and send it to Les Mills where they give me to go ahead to take on a class of my own.

The program is honestly one of the best fitness programs I've ever experienced and it's very clear why Les Mills is the number one leading fitness companies in the world.

If you've never taken a class and your gym offers them, I highly encourage you to check them out.  Or, if you are ever in my area, please come to one of my RPM classes. :)

When I got home, I was again blessed by my wonderful husband with another incredible dinner waiting.

Dinner 

 He made some fantastic omelets- mine had spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms and feta.

I also had a few sweet potato tots and 1/2 a Carrot Cake Bagel on the side.


This weekend, I proved to myself that I am capable of reaching things I once thought impossible.  Just last year, you couldn't pay me to take a spin class and now I'm teaching them.  I am so excited to begin this new aspect of my fitness career and plan to focus more on this area.  That may mean I will be cutting back on running which is why I've decided to not train for a big race this year.  I've been thinking about it for some time but eventually, I decided that I want to put more focus on other areas of training and teaching and a 1/2 or full marathon is just not in the cards this year.  Not to say I won't ever do one again, just not this fall.  Being able to explore and practice other areas of fitness is what truly makes you stronger physically and mentally and I'm finally starting to realize that cutting back a little in other areas is OKAY. I always want to be the best and healthiest I can be and always stay true to myself.  That is what brings me health, happiness and overall wellness. 

Have you explored a new workout or fitness area this year?  Do you enjoy mixing up your workouts or sticking to one in particular? 

ONE more day to enter my GIVEAWAY for a bag of Warrior Crunch Granola.  Leave me a comment on this post and I'll pick a winner tomorrow. 
Remember, all proceeds of this are going to Susan from The Great Balancing Act so please take a moment to take part. :) 

Photobucket