Sunday, July 24, 2011

Dating For Spouses


One of my favorite weekend activities involves getting dressed up and going out with my husband.  We like to call it a date. 


Of course, dating when you are married is nothing like dating when you are single.  Let's take for example the process of asking one out.

Single Scenario:

Guy: "What are you doing on Saturday night?"

Girl: "I'm not sure.  I may have plans but I may not."

Guy: "Well, if you don't, I think it would be cool if we went out for a bite to eat or something.  What do you think?"

Girl: "Yeah, that sounds like fun.  Okay."

Easy enough.

Let's look at the alternative.

Married Scenario:

Husband: "What are we doing this weekend?"

Wife: "You're taking me out to dinner.  I've made reservations here for this time.  Wear the outfit I picked out for you and make sure you are home by this time so we aren't late."

Husband: "Do I really have to wear pants?"

Oh yes, dating as a married couple is certainly not the same, but we still do it, we still love it, and we still call it a date.


Our dinner reservations, that I made of course, were for a new restaurant to us.  I'd seen and heard good things about Mount Hill Tavern and decided it was time to try something new.

The landscape was gorgeous and immediately caught our attention.

Inside, the decor was equally pleasing, as was the drink menu.

 I went with the Jackie O, which was Clementine Vodka, Fresh Orange Juice, Sparking White Wine and Passion Fruit.


It was go-oo-od! Hard to limit myself to one but I managed to savor it throughout the night.

To start, Toly and I split the Caprese Salad.


It was a lovely salad to begin with considering the heat outside, this was light, fresh and perfectly satisfying.

For my meal, I contemplated between tuna and salmon but in the end, tuna won due to the recommendation of our server.

Seared Yellowfin Tuna    

coriander and sesame-crusted | soy sake glaze | wakame salad

The tuna was a perfect choice.  It was served with seasonal vegetables and cous cous which I thought was a nice change from the usual grain.

I read on the website that this place was awarded for their desserts.  Award winning in my eyes, is worth trying.

Toly and I split the Lemon and Blueberry Pound Cake with a Fresh White Peach Sorbet.


The cake was very good, but the sorbet was outstanding!  I almost wish I would have just ordered a big bowl of it.

After dinner, we didn't want to date to end, so we headed over to City Island and found ourselves at the mini golf course.


Even in my wedges, I still managed to cream him.


Old, married, and predictable we may be, we still know how to have a good time.


This morning, I enjoyed every moment of my one day of the week to sleep in.

It's been awhile since I've made a fancy breakfast on a Sunday, so today, I put together a Sunday morning classic.

Blueberry Banana Pancakes 


I used Whole Wheat Kodiak Mix, added one overripe banana, a ton of fresh blueberries and some granola right into the batter. 

I topped mine with a nice drizzle of sunflower seed butter. 


 And regular butter for Toly.



These were quite filling but after running around all morning, I found myself slightly hungry and wanted to eat something light to hold me off until dinner.


TJ's Sprouted Grain Bread, Hummus, Tomato, Basi

I also sliced a fresh cucumber (from Jen's garden) to eat on the side. 

Glad I had this because by the time dinner came around, I was ready for the main event.

Grilled Strawberry Balsamic Grouper 

 When I was at the farmers market yesterday, I saw a bottle of fresh strawberry puree.  The only thing listed in the ingredient list was strawberries, xanthan gum, and sugar.   I couldn't resist.  The fish I purchased today, and marinated it in an equal mixture of the strawberry puree and balsamic.

I grilled the fish and served it the only way I know best….in a big beautiful salad.

Grilled Fish, Grilled Asparagus, Fresh Peaches, Strawberries, Avocado, Cucumber 

Delicious?  You bet! 

Tomorrow, I'll be heading to Pittsburgh for a work conference.  I'm actually speaking at it so I'm kind of excited to be a part of the agenda.  I'll be there all week but I'll be blogging when I can. 

Hope you all enjoyed the weekend.  

Do you enjoying dating? (Single or Married) 

Photobucket