Monday, July 4, 2011

4th of July 2011


Happy 4th of July!!! 



I was up before 6am and ready to get in some solid miles before the heat.  It's rare that I get to do long distances outdoors anymore, so I took advantage of the opportunity and finished 8 great miles. 

Came back and made myself a vary patriotic breakfast. 


Raspberry Chobani, Raw Oats, Raspberries, Blueberries, 1/2 Banana, Granola, Chia and Hemp Seeds


While Toly spent the morning at his parents, I stayed behind and cleaned.  I often love having the Monday holidays to clean the entire house because it frees up my weekend.  I spent a full 2 hours giving the house a good solid scrub down.

I also whipped up a few things for a picnic we were going to later on.

Edamame Guacamole 


  • 1/4 Cup Thawed Edamame 
  • 2 ripe Avocados
  • 2 T Lime Juice
  • 1 T Garlic
  • Salt and Pepper
Process everything in a food processor until blended. 




This was so good!  Who would have thought guacamole could get better but apparently it can!


I also made another patriotic themed dish…Red White and Blue Salad

 Strawberries, Blueberries, Almonds, Cucumber, Spinach 

I just realized I am missing the white, which was supposed to be feta cheese, but then I realized that no one in my family really likes feta so I left it out. 


Mid afternoon, I started to get pretty hungry but wanted something light in an effort not to spoil my appetite for the picnic. 

Watermelon, Cherries, Spinach, Banana, Protein, Almond Milk 

 TJ's Protein Bread with hummus 

Later in the afternoon, we headed to my parent's house for our family picnic.


BBQ's seem to be a standard on the 4th.  Unfortunately, my dad forgot to check the gas in the grill and he was near empty.

 Luckily, there was just enough and he still managed to produce a fantastic grilled meal...


Smothered Chicken

Steak Strips 


My "Meat" - Portobellos 

Fruit


I piled my plate with lots of salad and a grilled mushroom.



How cute is my sister and brother in law with their matching family outfits!



Speaking of cute…..


After dinner, we engaged in a classic game of Bocce.




We ended the night with the Phillies game and a big bowl of fruit.


And that was our 4th. 

Hope you all had a wonderful holiday as well. :) 

Photobucket