Monday, June 13, 2011

Share The Wealth of Taste (2 New Recipes)


Most people that know me, know that my cooking style is anything less than structured.  Most people that know me, also know that I am fully incapable of baking.  A cake…yeah right.  A pie…not likely. Anything with yeast…forget it! 

When I cook, I like to cook with emotion.  Rather than follow a recipe, I tend to follow my sense of taste and creativitiy.  I guess this is why baking is not for me. 

When someone asks me if I follow a certain recipe, I tell them that while I do get inspired by seeing many different recipes, I rarely ever print one out and take the step-by-step instruction. 

Breakfast

1/4 C Kashi Go Lean, 1/4 C Natures Path Multi Bran Flakes, 1/4 C TJ's Twigs, Raspberries, 1/2 Nectarine, 1 scoop Vanilla Sun warrior Protein, Almond Milk, 1 T Love Grown Granola 


The reason I don't post more of my recipes is because I don't usually remember them enough to create a step-by-step tutorial.  But there are some instances when I do remember for the most part, and the recipe is just too good not to share.  I would feel like a hoarder of good food if I didn't tell you all how to make this easy and incredibly delicious Quinoa Salad I made last night…..

Black Bean and Mango Southwest Quinoa Salad


  • 1/4 uncooked Quinoa
  • 1 Can Organic Black Beans
  • 1 Red Pepper (diced)
  • 1 Mango (diced)
  • 1 Ear of Corn (grilled)
  • 1 Avocado
  • 1/2 Red Onion (diced) 
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • Salt, Pepper
  • 2 T Chopped Cilantro 
Cook the quinoa accordingly.  (I used the microwave method to save time and it worked like a charm) Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix.  Stir in the cooked Quinoa. 

Lunch 


I ate my leftover salad for lunch today on a bed of spinach along with grilled squash and zucchini.


To complete the meal, there was carrots and pineapple.


So you see, I am not that kind of person who holds on to such a good thing and doesn't want to share the wealth with my friends.  That is why I am sharing with you all, not one, but two amazing recipes tonight.

Grilled Teriyaki Salmon with Peach Blueberry Salsa 


For the Salsa: 


  •  1 Peach (diced)
  • 1/2 C Blueberries
  • 1 T Agave
  • 1 T Lemon Juice
  • Chopped Fresh Basil 
Combine all ingredients and let sit for at least 15-20 min. 

For the Salmon: 



  •  3 oz of Wild Caught Sockeye Salmon 
  • 2 T Teriyaki Sauce (I use Kikkoman) 
  • 1 T low sodium Soy Sauce
  • 1 T Honey
  • 1 tsp brown sugar
  • Salt, Pepper
Season the salmon with salt, pepper and brown sugar.  In a small bowl, mix the teriyaki, soy and honey. Pour marinade over fish and let sit for 15-30 min.  Place salmon on the grill brush occasionally with remaining sauce.  Cook 4-5 min each side. 

Dinner

Grilled Teriyaki Salmon with Peach and Blueberry Salsa over Grilled Asparagus and Arugula. 



Sadly, this was not wine but that would have made this meal even better.  I just really love these new wine glasses I picked up last week at the dollar store.


As generous as I am when it comes to sharing these wonderful recipes, there is one thing that I am not so quick to give up and that is my dessert.   Ask Toly…there have been times when he has almost lost a hand when he tried to snatch a juicy strawberry from my nightly bowl of fruit.  I would give him my life, but try to take my prized fruit and I will reconsider my vows.  ;) 


Photobucket