Monday, June 6, 2011

Loosing Weight to be Healthy



There are many things about the secular world of dieting that I don't agree with.  In fact, if I had to be honest, the world "diet" irritates me to the core.  I may have many personal reasons but on a whole, I feel that we as a society have taken this word and made a way of life out of it.  

Here is the thing, weight loss does not always mean healthy living.  Yes, in order for some people to reach a level of health, loosing weight is needed; however, there are many people who still strive to be healthy without wanting to loose weight.  

In order to loose weight, it's a simple process really.  You eat less calories than your body needs.  You could essentially eat a Big Mac every single day and nothing else and still loose a significant amount of weight.  Does that mean that you healthy?  Probably not, but at least your scale is telling you that you are.  

For years, I have been on the opposite side of the spectrum in that I've been trying to gain weight.  When I was diagnosed with Chron's, I realized that I was completely different than the rest of the world.  Well, not really but in my mind it felt like that.  I once fell into the lifestyle of eating only fat free, sugar free, no carb, diet foods, thinking that this was the ideal act of health.  Yes, I lost a lot of weight but I was also at the most unhealthiest state I have ever been.  Now, I choose to eat the healthiest foods I can possibly put into my body most of the time and I am in no way loosing weight.  In fact, I've been gaining weight over the course of a few years.  But the difference is that now, I may be a few pounds heavier, but I am the healthiest I've ever been in my life. 

So my point is, don't always measure your health by a number or a dress size.  Health is only measured in how we feel, how we thrive, and how we live our lives.  Happiness will only prevail when you stop trying to obtain an unrealistic image and embrace living healthy on every single aspect. 

Breakfast 

1/4 C Kashi Go Lean, 1/4 C Natures Path Flakes, 1/4 C TJ's Twigs, Raspberries, Banana, 1 T Sun Warrior Protein, Chia, Almond Milk 

I'm really enjoying the protein powder.  I think I just needed to get used to it but now I can't imagine my cereal bowls without it.  For example, after completing a 10 mile run, this entire bowl kept me going well into lunch time which was 6 hours later.


I pulled out one of my favorite dresses today in anticipation for the hot sunny day….

Dress: White House Black Market (bought on clearance for $20)


 I think I've mentioned this before, but lately, I've been entirely fascinated with coming up with new meal salad recipes.  To me, a "meal" salad includes all forms of nutrients, whole grains, vegetables, fats…etc.

This one is worthy of its own recipe….

Quinoa Vegetable Bruschetta Salad 


Ingredients:

  • 1/2 C uncooked Quinoa 
  • 1 can Chic Peas
  • 1 Zucchini (diced) 
  • 1/2 C sliced cherry tomatoes 
  • 2 T fresh basil 
  • 1 T EVOO
  • 1 T Balsamic Vinegar 
  • 1 T Lemon Juice 
  • Fresh Spinach (about 1 cup) 
Directions:  Cook quinoa accordingly.  In the meantime, heat a pan and sauté the zucchini and chic peas in the EVOO.  After they are cooked down a bit, (about 5 minutes) add the cooked quinoa, tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper, balsamic and lemon juice. Lastly, add the spinach and stir to combine.  Let this mixture cook together for about 3-4 min and take off heat. 

I layered my salad on a bed of greens and added sliced avocado.  



This makes the perfect summertime salad dinner.  It's light but so filling at the same time. 

Question of the day: 
Do you feel that weight loss has taken over most of this society's viewpoint of health? 

PS- Thank you for all of your sweet comments on my announcement yesterday. I am so excited and hope to see and meet a lot of you this August! 

Photobucket