Sunday, May 22, 2011

Well That Was Awkward


 I'm not sure about you, but as the world was ending, I was completely obliviously to the fact until afterward.  

True fact: I kept seeing all of the "end of the world" billboards and signs and I honestly thought that there was some big concert taking place.  I guess it's better to be out of the loop on these kind of fallacies but I do feel sorry for the people who got caught up in such nonsense.  

I don't know much about The Revelation, but I do know that the Bible is the only written word that has not once been proven untrue in ANY aspect.   Why aren't more people impressed with that fact rather than some 90-year old radio DJ obviously trying to get in one last "name to fame", I shall never know. 

So, while the world was predictably "ending", I was spending my last days doing absolutely nothing worth deeming "life changing" but I do feel that some of the things I've been eating could be. 

Blueberry Banana Buckwheat Pancakes

This was my first time using Buckwheat Flour for pancakes and I have to say, them came out fantastic.  I mixed equal parts of the flour and pancake mix and added some other delectable mix in's such as mashed banana (overripe), almond extract, coconut milk, flax, blueberries, cinnamon. 

The above pancakes were Toly's, the below were mine.  I think you can see who got the better deal on this one…..


I recently found a beautiful smoothie enhancement….


I was going to buy Kiefer until I saw this!  This has about 1/2 the amount of sugar as Kiefer and slightly less calories.  Plus, it tastes delicious and is perfect for smoothies. 

I made a smoothie for Toly and I for lunch today along with a veggie and hummus wrap….



 And the communal fruit and veggie plates…..



 A completely shocking thing happened today….

 I baked something!

A few days ago, I came across a recipe for Vegan Almond Apricot Quinoa Muffins and I decided to take a big chance and make my own version.


  • 2 c. unsweetened coconut milk 
  • 2 T chia seeds
  • 1/4 c. coconut oil
  • 1/4 c. organic maple/agave syrup blend
  • 1 tsp. almond extract
  • 1 c. Spelt flour
  • 1 c. Buckwheat flour
  • 1/4 c. unsweetened dried coconut
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 1/4 c. cooked quinoa
  • 1/2 c. finely chopped dried apricots
  • raw brown sugar for sprinkling

In a medium size bowl, whisk together the coconut milk and chia seeds.  Allow to sit for 1 minute, then whisk in oil, maple/agave, and almond extract.
In a separate large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, mixing until just incorporated.
Gently fold in the cooked quinoa and apricots – mix until only the large lumps are gone.
Pour into a prepared muffin tin, sprinkle raw sugar over the top, and bake @ 350* for approx. 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.

I definitely took a chance on these because I didn't follow the original recipe exactly and added a bunch of things that I thought would be good (which is why I don't bake). Finally, my non traditional concept of baking paid off.

I'm not sure what I will do with all these muffins, but I'm definitely glad I gave them a chance.

I don't think I'll be trading in my skillets for cookie sheets, but it's nice to know I'm at least semi capable sometimes.

But I do know I'm fully capable of dinner….

Strawberry Watermelon Asparagus Arugula Salad with Grilled Salmon 


Yeah….

I think I'll stick to cooking. 

Hope you had a great weekend! 

Tell the truth….were you just a little scared about the end of the world? 

Photobucket