Thursday, May 26, 2011

My Advice for Healthy Eating


Hey guys,

I had some comments asking me to elaborate on the healthy eating tips I gave to Bryce yesterday.  I actually wrote out some different ideas for him so I thought I would share those with you….


Breakfast:(Bryce is allergic to eggs)
Whole Wheat Toast with Natural Peanut Butter or Almond Butter
Whole Grain Waffles (like Kashi or Nature’s Path) with fruit
Greek Yogurt with nuts and fruit
Smoothies (Frozen Fruit, Yogurt, Flax, Wheat Germ)
Whole Wheat English Muffins
Instant Whole Grain Oatmeal
Muesli
Cottage Cheese and fruit

Lunch:
Wraps, Sandwiches, Salads, Smoothies

Snacks:
Bananas
Almonds (or another nut)
Carrots and hummus or ranch dressing
Apples and PB
Whole Wheat Crackers
Granola Bars
Cottage Cheese

Dinner:
Baked or Grilled Chicken with Brown Rice and a green vegetable
Baked or Grilled fish or shrimp with whole grain pasta
Whole grain pasta with tomato sauce
Lean hamburger on whole grain bun with baked sweet potato fries
Stir Fry’s
Grilled Flank Steak


"Let me know if you have any more questions.  Honestly, it’s really just about balance.  Make small steps at first.  I definitely don’t suggest trying to change your entire diet overnight because you’re only setting yourself up for failure.  Don’t look at it as what you are currently eating, but what you are currently NOT eating and go from there.  Trust me, once you start adding more whole and nutrient based foods into your diet, the other stuff will just phase out naturally."

  Some things I noticed in Bryce's current plan that I suggested he change…

Breakfast: 
Currently- Plain Cheerios Dry 
I suggested he add more.  Protein especially but since he is allergic to eggs, it would have to be in forms of Greek Yogurt, Nut Butter or Cottage Cheese. 

Lunch: 
Currently- Eats out every day
Bryce eats lunch out every single day and with the logistics of his job (he is on the road 99% of the time) it wouldn't be conducive to try and make big changes here.  It's probably the least important meal of his day (to  obtain significant nutrients I mean) so I suggested he just try to be aware of his choices but not put as much emphasis on it. 

Working out for 90 minutes without any fuel beforehand.
I suggested eating something before these workouts that will give sufficient energy and a balance of complex carbs and protein.  A banana with PB, cliff bar…etc. 

Dinner: 
Currently- Pizza, Cheesesteak, Subs, etc. 
I suggested to get the most from his workouts, he needs to fuel properly afterwards.  Again, a balance of complex carbs, protein, grain and vegetables.  Chicken, rice, vegetables, etc.  

Hopefully I gave him some good advice to get him started….

Now, as for my meal plan…..

Breakfast
1/4 C Kashi Go Lean, 1/4 C Kashi Island Vanilla, 2 T Galaxy Granola, 1 T Rice Protein Raspberries, Banana, Almond Milk


I love these cereal bowls, especially after my runs.  Today it was 7 miles in just about an hour.

Lunch 

I made one of the best tuna salad's I've ever made today…

Buffalo Tuna Salad 


I simply took one can of white albacore tuna, 2 T Buffalo Hummus, and 2 tsp of hot sauce.  This honestly tasted like Buffalo Chicken Dip.  


I also made a gigantic smoothie with frozen strawberries, pineapple, peaches, spinach, strawberry coconut milk keifer, rice protein powder.


After work, I came home and had my a$$ handed to me by Shaun T.  The Max Interval workout is by far the hardest one. It's also the longest one.  Go figure.  I don't think I've ever sweated more in my life….


Dinner


Oh my, do I have a fantastic BFD recipe for you….

Strawberry Avocado Basil Omelet with Goat Cheese 


Not just any goat cheese though….


Blueberry Vanilla Goat Cheese from Trader Joe's, aka pure bliss.

 To make the omelet, I whisked together 1 egg with 2 egg whites and set aside.  Then I sliced strawberries, diced avocado and cut fresh basil and mixed this together with a splash of balsamic.  Pour the eggs in the pan and let set (about 4 min)  Add the goat cheese and then top with the strawberry mixture. Fold over and cook for 2 min. Flip and cook an additional 2 min.


I had some leftover strawberry mixture so I used it to top off the omelet.



Served with roasted brussels sprouts.  This was FANTASTIC!  Wow, who knew warm strawberries and eggs could taste so good.  Maybe the deliciousness can be attributed to the goat cheese though.  Seriously, if you come across this at TJ's DON'T pass it up.  It's heavenly.


Well, we are all hanging out in the basement because there are some really crazy storms going on with a tornado warning.  Let's hope they built us a strong house because it might be tested tonight. 

If someone was to ask you the best advice for eating healthy, what would you tell them?  I think my favorite thing to tell people when it comes to healthy eating is that it's not what you are eating but what you are NOT eating. 

Photobucket