Sunday, May 8, 2011

A Mother Knows Best


A Mother's love is the fuel that enables a normal human being to do the impossible.  
~Marion C. Garretty

Happy Mothers Day to all of the mom's and mom's to be out there! 

Even though I am neither (yet), I still consider myself one proud momma of an affectionate little browned eyed Chiuaua. 


Okay, he looks a little pissed in this picture (not sure why), but I promise the second before I snapped this, he was licking my face uncontrollably.  

And even though I am not a mom, I do have one that I love very much.  Today was a day to honor her. 



Before that started though, I woke up and made Toly a good breakfast before he had to hit the road.  He was traveling to NY to pick up his parents from their cruise.  

Almond Berry Pancakes

 
 These were made with Kodiak mix, almond extract and almond milk.  Topped with Vanilla Chobani and fresh berries.

 So delicious!

After he left, I proceeded to get things ready for the Mother's Day lunch I was putting together for my mom and sister.

The Menu: 

  • Herbed Broccoli Quiche in a Whole Wheat Crust
  • Strawberry Spinach Salad
  • Fresh Fruit 


The Broccoli Quiche was adapted from me looking at a bunch of different recipes but not following a single one entirely.  I just pulled together everything that sounded good and made it on a whim.  Luckily, it turned out incredible so I decided to write down the recipe.

Herbed Broccoli Quiche in a Whole Wheat Crust

  • 1 Whole Wheat Pie Crust
  • 1 cup chopped broccoli
  • 1/2 cup shredded asagio cheese
  • 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 tsp dijon
  • salt, pepper, basil, thyme 


Steam the broccoli lightly and place in the crust.  Top the broccoli with the asiago cheese.


 Mix the remaining ingredients and pour over broccoli.


Baked at 350 for 30-35 min.

I wasn't sure if I had enough liquid but the quiche puffed up beautifully.  The sharp asiago and salty parm was so flavorful.  Everyone loved it!

I also made a Strawberry Spinach Salad to go with the main dish.


Since it was the most gorgeous day, we dined outside on the patio.


 Such a wonderful lunch.


Even though I celebrated with my sister yesterday, she is still a mom and today was just as much about her.


My sister called me last night to tell me that Weston gave her the best Mother's Day Gift ever.  He finally said Ma Ma!  For the past month, he's been saying Da Da but not Ma Ma and yesterday, he finally said it and hasn't stopped since.  She was beaming!


After lunch, we took a nice long walk around the neighborhood and came home to have dessert.

My sister made an incredible Blueberry Cobbler.


It was a great afternoon.  Spending the day with the two woman who I look up to the most was more of a gift to me than it was to them.  I only hope I will be half the mother that they are someday. :)

Toly got home later on and we eventually worked on dinner.

Coconut Crusted Scallops 

These scallops are my favorite!  So easy to make.  I simply dip the scallops in egg whites and then in a dry mixture of bread crumbs and shredded coconut with a dash of cayenne, salt and pepper and baked at 450 for 10 min.

I served the scallops on top of coconut rice with some roasted asparagus.


Whether you are a mom, have a mom, or love a mom….I hope you celebrated with the woman you love. 

Photobucket