Thursday, May 5, 2011

Cinco De Delicious

OLA! 

And Happy Cinco De Mayo to you all! 

I'm not Mexican nor do I have any Mexican affiliation in my heritage but I have been to Mexico and I do L-O-V-E Mexican food and margaritas; therefore, I'd say I have a reason to celebrate. 

Before I could get to my margarita, I needed to get through the work day first. 

This morning, I did 7 miles in about an hour and then got ready for the day.

Breakfast


1/4 C TJ's Raisin Bran, 1/4 C Kashi Go Lean, Banana, Blueberries, 2 TBL Love Grown Granola, 1 tsp Blueberry Flax, 1 tsp Mighty Maple, Almond Milk


I had a busy productive morning out of the office that lead me right up until lunch.

Before heading back to work, I stopped home to eat.

Lunch

Ever since the spring hit, I've been craving smoothies like mad.  Only last time I made my own, I realized that my Hemp Protein Powder had gone bad.  It totally ruined the smoothie and my like for hemp protein, but since then, I've been on a mission to find another kind of powder.

Before I commit to an entire container, I wanted to sample a few to see what I like best.  After all, if I'm going to spend $20+ on protein powder, I want to love it!

I first went with the Whey Protein. Whey is probably the most popular of all the protein powders and does contain milk.  If you can not have dairy, I'd suggest looking for a hemp or rice protein, but since the amounts are minimal, it doesn't seem to upset my stomach like other milk products would. 

Berry Banana Coconut Smoothie

1/2 Frozen Banana
1/4 C Frozen Berries
1/4 C Coconut Milk
1 T Vanilla Whey Protein Powder

I liked the whey but I think I've had other powders that I like more.  The smoothie was delicious though. And drinking smoothies out of wine glasses is now a must for me. 

To go with my smoothie, I put together an amazing salad. 

Romaine, Shaved Brussels Sprouts, Shaved Asparagus, Wheat Berries, Beets, Cucumber, Radish, Spinach Hummus, Lemon Juice, Olive Oil


Smoothie and Salad…my favorite kind of lunch!

After work, I got home and put together a full body workout routine.  Ever since my brother in law donated to me his weight set, I've been so excited to practice my Body Pump moves at home.

Here is a breakdown of my workout.  It's a good one so feel free to write it down….

Cardio-
1 mile warm up run on treadmill
20 min ET

Strength-
Song- Pardon Me, Incubus
Squats: 8 2x2, 16 singles, 8 bottom half, 8 singles - Repeat until song is over

Song: More, Usher
Back: 8 2x2, 8 rows, 4 x 3 cling and press, 8 rows, 3 wide grip rows x 3 - Repeat until song is over



Song: Dog Days Are Over: Florence and the Machine
Biceps: 8 2 x 2, 16 singles, 4 bottom halves, 4 singles - Repeat until song is over


Song: Boston, Augustina 
Abs- 10 lb weighted crunch x 10, Bicycle x 10 - repeat 4 times, Plank walk out's, Plank hold until song is over

LOVED THIS WORKOUT!!!

I really enjoy making up my own routines but I need to do this ahead of time because I'm very bad of thinking of moves on the spot.  If I write it down before I start, I'm good.

I'd say I definitely earned that margarita!!!!

Dinner


Pomegranate Margarita 

1 shot Tequila
1 shot Coconut Rum
Pom Juice 
Ice

Being that it was Cinco De Mayo, we obviously had tacos for dinner. 


Fish Tacos

Grilled Tilapia
Mango Salsa
Cabbage Slaw
Homemade Guac 

These were amazing!!!  I also grilled some squash on the side.


I think we should celebrate this holiday every month.  Why just May?  I say every 5th of the month should be Cinco De ------??? 

Toly asked an interesting question at dinner….

Are we the only country that celebrates other countries holiday's just to turn it into a drinking holiday?? 


Photobucket