Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Secret To Healthy Eating



I heard something today that is some of the best advice I can think of when it comes to eating healthy. 

I get asked the question all the time, "what kind of diet do you follow to stay so healthy?"  

I find it so hard to verbalize my diet because I base everything that goes into my mouth purely on my own dietary needs and conditions so there is no particular "diet" that I follow.  But my general philosophy is and always will be….

Eat as whole and natural as possible.  

I use to be sucked into the whole fat free, sugar free, calorie free, taste free mindset that the rest of the world likes to think is "healthy."  To me, this is society's skewed prospective of a healthy diet when in reality, it's actually a million times worse than eating a diet of only snickers bars and potato chips.  At least with the snickers, you are getting some of the nutrients of fats, but when you eat only artificial ingredients that your body doesn't recognize, it's not going to understand how to digest them and turn that food into the source of energy that it is intended for. Think of it this way, your body is a natural functioning tool so when you continually put foods into it that are unrecognizable and artificial, it's doesn't know what to do with them so they essentially just sit there and cause ALL KINDS of problems later on.  

So back to this advice.  What is the golden rule?  What should you take with you every time you go to the store and buy your foods for the week? 

Eat mostly foods without a label!!! 

SO true!  Fruits, Vegetables, Meats, Eggs, Milk.  No ingredients, you can't get any more natural than that! 

Okay enough nutrition lessons for today, on to my own nutritional choices for the day: 

Breakfast was the ever so famous Pear Blackberry Bowl  

1/4 Cup Kashi Go Lean, A few Kashi Island Vanilla Nuggets, 1 small pear, Blackberries, 1 T Applesauce, 1 T Vanilla Chobani, 1 T Love Grown Apple Granola, 1 tsp Almond Butter


Quite a lot goes into this bowl; variety wise but not weight wise.  The key to making these bowls so satisfying and delicious is using many different ingredients but watching the portions.  I am all about the flavor and texture and the more the better!!

Seated so delicately next to my beautiful bouquet of roses that Toly got me for my birthday.


I didn't have the chance to photograph lunch because it was a business lunch with one of my colleagues. We did go to Cafe Magnolia and I did order my favorite veggie wrap with a cup of Manhattan Clam Chowder.  It was fantastic as always.

When I got home, we got right to work on finishing up the basement.  We got nearly all of it done but left the touch ups for tonight.  My parents came over to help finish up and move everything out to get ready for the carpet tomorrow.

In appreciation for their help, I made dinner.

Strawberry and Feta Salad with Almonds

Wegman's Chicken Parmesan Pizza

Amy's No Cheese Roasted Veggie Pizza (with added broccoli, nutritional yeast and olives) 

I figured this one would be mainly for me; however, the biggest fan of this one was my dad.  I think I know where my "unusual" appreciation for food comes from. ;) 

It feels so good to have the basement done!!  We definitely put in some hard work to get it done in a few days, but it's going to be so worth it tomorrow to have our fully finished basement. 

Now I can finally give you that house tour I promised. ;) 

Good night friends! 

What is your best piece of advice when it comes to eating healthy? 

Photobucket