Friday, March 25, 2011

We've Got Hospitality



Hey everyone! 

It's the weekend!!! 

We actually don't have any plans this weekend which is so nice.  Even though we have nothing planned, we still have so much to do with the house.  I'm sure there will be multiple trips to Lowe's, the grocery store, and other random errands in between unpacking, putting together furniture and some more decorating.  I know it will end soon, but to tell you the truth, I'm kind of enjoying the process.  It's fun to always have a project. 

This morning, I traded my usual cereal bowl for a different kind of carb.


Foodbuzz sent me a package of this Nature's Pride Heart Wheat Bread with Flax as part of the Tastemakers Program.

I toasted a slice with a smear of almond butter, 1/2 a mashed banana and some chia seeds.


 It was good!  I loved the whole seeds of flax embedded throughout the bread.  It gave the bread a nice hearty texture that I loved.

I paired my toast with a big bowl of fruit of course.

 Fruit Bowl: Pineapple, Kiwi, Blackberries and Blueberries, Pineapple Chobani, TBL of Granola 

I'm usually full for hours after my breakfasts.   People often comment on my breakfasts being so voluminous but in all honesty, these meals last me for a full 6 hours.  I don't even get a flinch of hunger until at least noon; however, today was different.  My appetite was in overdrive today and I was starving by 11:00am.  

I had a lunch meeting at 12:30pm but knew I couldn't hold out that long.  I ate a small apple (my leftover from yesterday's Panera lunch) and hoped it would hold me.  It did okay, but by the time I actually ate lunch (probably more like 1:00pm) I was starving! 

I didn't take pictures because of the nature of it being a business affair, but my lunch consisted of 1/2 a tuna sandwich and a cup of Maryland Crab Soup.  

I felt like I spent most of the day in my car with all the traveling I did today and the roads were full of careless drivers.  I was just so happy to get home tonight and spend the night in. 

I immediately put on some comfy clothes, opened a bottle of wine, and got cooking in my heaven. 


My sister and brother in law came over for our very first dinner party.

A soup and salad dinner was on tap….

Salad of Apples, Dried Cherries, Almonds 

Corn and Crab Chowder 



Look who also came to visit the new house!!!


He only gets cuter my friends. :)

Dinner was fantastic but the real clinger of the night was dessert.


That would be the ever famous muffin from my favorite place on earth, The Hershey Pantry.  My lunch appointment was in Hershey today and just up the road from the Pantry.  I stopped on my way back to pick up some muffins for dessert.  Their muffins are unlike no other.  It's pretty insane actually.  Huge doesn't even begin to describe them.  They're massive delicious cakes stuffed with cheesecake filling.

When I asked what the flavors were for the day I was told, Maple Nut, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip, Banana Cream, and Peach Blackberry. 

I couldn't decide so I just asked for one of each.   


Cut them into bite sized portions so we could sample them all.

Such a great night!  I love entertaining and I love entertaining in my new house.  It was so great to have my family over and be able to cook for others again.


I was planning on getting in a good outdoor run tomorrow but it's supposed to be COLD!!!  (Like 38*)  Not sure that is going to happen.  :( 

But the good news is, it's supposed to be sunny and 60 degrees next weekend in DC so at least I won't be wet or cold when I race, just unprepared and undertrained.  

Have a great night! 

Photobucket