Monday, March 21, 2011

Facing My Fear of Nature and a WINNER


It's the start of a new week.  It's the start of Spring.  And it's almost the end of the month which means the start of a new month.  One of my favorite month's actually.  I know that the first day of Spring was yesterday, but for some reason, I associate the first day as being April 1st.  I just don't like to jump the gun and March is more of a teaser month in my opinion.  April also happens to be my birthday month as well as the birthday month of so many loved ones.  It's a great month, no? 

I began the day with a lovely 6 mile run in the courtesy of my home gym.  I know I've said it before, but I LOVE being able to wake up and work out in my basement every morning.  The gym is actually becoming quite elaborate with the addition of a new spin bike that my brother and sister in law gave me. I now have my treadmill, my ET and a bike as well as a great area for weights and yoga.  

Anyways, my run was nice but I've been struggling with the fact that I've done ZERO outdoor running since Thanksgiving. More on that in a minute. 

Breakfast was eaten shortly after my workout…..

Nature's Path Banana Almond Flakes, Oatmeal Squares, Kashi Go Lean, Banana, Raspberries, 1/2 Banana Vita Top, Chia, Almond Milk 


 With have a grapefruit 


And a little Peace Love and Serendipity or better known as coffee

I love breakfast time. 

I also love lunch time now that I'm able to make my own meals again. 

Salad with Homemade Tuna Salad (tuna, yogurt, dijon) 


Along with a Siggi's and a juicy apple. I love this wholesome lunch because it covers all of the essential food groups and it's so satisfying. 

It was raining all day up until I got off work.  Then the sun suddenly came out and it warmed up and turned into be a beautiful evening. Actually, it was an ideal evening to run. 

Now, back to this running this.  I love to run.  Running is my thing.  And although I've been running everyday and logging 25-30 miles every week, I haven't been doing any kind of training.  This isn't necessarily a bad thing but I do have a 10 mile race coming up in 2 weeks and I haven't done a single mile outside since Thanksgiving.  As much as I love to run, conversely, I absolutely hate to run in the cold so winter running outside is OUT.  Even though it's gotten warmer, life has been so crazy that I haven't changed my routine because, well, running on my treadmill everyday was about the only routine I had in my life up until this point.  It was comfortable, familiar, and needed for my own sanity. 

I keep worrying about this race coming up because I really haven't been running other than for pleasure. I know I NEED to get some miles outside unless I want my lungs to collapse during the race. 

Today, I finally bit the bullet and did it.  

Even though I had already ran 6 miles this morning, I thought I would just go for a little run around the new neighborhood to see how I felt. 

Guess who even agreed to join me for a mile!  Toly!  He doesn't usually run with me (like ever!) but we both decided it was so nice outside that we couldn't pass it up. 


 We ran around the block which is just about a mile.  Let me tell you, our neighborhood is ONE BIG GINORMOUS HILL!!!!

The first half was literally the biggest incline I think I have ever ran.  We struggled but going down was a cinch.  I dropped him off at the house and did another loop.

The hills were killing me but I pushed through and did about 2.5 miles.  Holy cow, if you just run around our neighborhood a few times, I'm pretty sure anyone would be able to face a 10 mile race.  I have a feeling this year's training is going to be killer but so good for me.

Overall, I was quite pleased and realized how awesome it is to run outside, especially when the weather is perfect.

When I got home and got cleaned up, I worked on dinner.

Honey Teriyaki Glazed Tofu 

Tofu with Roasted Veggies and Annie's Mac and Cheese (made with hummus, dijon, and nooch) 

That was quite a lot for a Monday. 

Last but not least, I have one more thing to announce.

The WINNER of the Body By Design Book 

One transformation I have made this year is to give running a try. I've started the Couch 2 5k program and I've signed up for a 5k in June. Loving it so far!!

Congratulation Karen!  Please email me your address and I'll get the book out to you right away. 

Time to unplug for the night.  

Goodnight! 

Photobucket