Sunday, June 21, 2009

Pumpkin Kasha

I want to share with you all one of my favorite Russian dishes that my MIL makes quite often called Pumpkin Kasha. This dish is similar to a rice pudding, but uses Kasha which is a from of Buckwheat Groats. She usually makes this with Pumpkin but has also used Kabocha which is just as good! (If not better)

I love this so much. I'm not sure of her exact recipe, but I found a similar one online and I'm pretty sure that this is the most accurate to hers.

She made me a big batch after my surgery, and it has been WONDERFUL to have while recovering from wisdom teeth extractions.


  • 0.5 lb ripe pumpkin or kabocha (she uses kabocha but if she can't find it, pumpkin works just as well) without the seeds and peel
  • 2 cup kasha (buckweat groats)
    3 cup milk
  • 1-2 tbsp butter (optional)
  • 1 tbsp sugar and 1 tbsp ground nuts per serving (optional)
  • Raisins and dried apricots pieces on taste

*Whenever she makes this for me, she doesn't include the butter or sugar, and honestly, I think it tastes better without. The squash is so sweet that it doesn't even need the slightest bit.

Method:
Soak raisins and apricots pieces. Boil rice or millets in ¾ gallon lightly salt water until half-readiness, then drain the grain, and put into a saucepan. Pour milk over the grain (the milk has to cover the grain). Grate the pumpkin, put it into the saucepan, mix well with grain and milk, and bring to boil.
Boil for about 25 minutes at low heating, stirring occasionally.(Add the raisins and apricot pieces after the first 15 minutes.)Add 1-2 tbsp butter, and let to boil for one more minute.Serve hot, sprinkle with ground nuts and sugar.

Thanks Mama P. for your wonderful Kasha! I have been enjoying it fully for these past few days.

0 comments:

Post a Comment