Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A Strange Encounter and Southern BBQ Supper

Hey guys! Sorry for the lack of post yesterday. My computer ate my pictures so I wasn’t able to upload any photos of dinner. (Dinner was quite delicious however, veggie burgers, sweet potato fries and bruchetta salad. Just imagine the images! ;)

To make up for it, I decided to do a double entry of lunch and dinner today. Lunch was actually leftovers from Saturday night’s dinner. I made calzones with the whole wheat TJ’s pizza crust, stuffed with sautéed kale and spinach, and a ricotta mixture of cottage cheese, sundried tomatoes, feta and kalamative olives. It was very tasty and I think my new favorite pizza sauce has to be TJ’s brand. I already have an obsession for most marinara sauces, but this brand is by far some of the best I have tasted. So I heated up the other half of my calzone and had some leftover bruchetta salad from last night’s dinner. It’s great to have leftovers on hand for a quick and filling lunch.



After work, Toly and I hit up the gym for some lifting. Speaking of the gym, I had quite a bothersome encounter this morning there. I’ll get to that a little later, but we did our normal ½ hour workout and then went on a family walk with Sammy.

Dinner tonight was quite southern-comfort inspired. I made BBQ Tofu and my mock mac and cheese. For the tofu, I did the usual process of drying it out, cut it into cubes and then marinated it in a mix of BBQ sauce, brown sugar, honey, paprika, chili powder, S&P, and garlic powder. Oh and finally bought tempeh for the first time this weekend, so I threw in a few pieces of the tempeh and baked them as well to try. These baked at 400 for about 30 min.

My mock mac and cheese is really not macaroni at all. I steam butternut squash with some kale, mash it all up with a laughing cow cheese wedge, a little greek yogurt, paprika, chili powder and S&P. Then I put the mixture in a dish and bake for about 15 min. Once its done, I sprinkle some goat cheese on top and douse it in ketchup (the best way to eat mac and cheese!) Oh my, this is probably my favorite side dish. I would gladly choose this over mac and cheese any day. To make this good ol’ comfort meal even more delectable, I also roasted some brussels sprouts and broccoli in a little EVOO and S&P. The tofu was cooked perfectly and I must say, tempeh is almost as amazing as tofu. I love the chewy dense texture and it really offers a nice variety over tofu. Heavenly meal!

(**Addendum- Toly did not eat tofu nor did he eat the mock mac and cheese, rather he was served BBQ chicken and TJ’s mac and cheese)

Chicken and Tofu getting ready to be baked

Toly's Plate

My Plate

Okay so now onto my odd encounter at the gym this morning. So every morning, for the past 6 months, I have been waking up at the ungodly hour of 4:40, quickly change, and make it to the gym by 4:45am to run. I’ve been doing this religiously every day and never once have I seen a single soul in sight. We have a very small gym in our townhome complex and there is only one treadmill, but hardly is ever anyone there, so it usually works out. Well today, as I was walking up to the gym door, I saw a man walking towards me. He shouted “Hey, are you using the treadmill?” I told him yes and then he proceeds to tell me that he has been coming here every morning at 5am and uses it. I told him that’s crazy because I am there every day at 5am and NO ONE has ever come. He told me I was crazy and walked away. Ugh, how annoying! I have a feeling this guy may try and fight me for the gym, which means I may have to get up even earlier to reserve my spot. Yuck! Oh well, I think this may have been a sign that I need to start taking my morning runs outside. I’ve been really wanting to, but trying to hold off just a little longer until it gets light out a bit earlier. I don’t really feel too safe running in the dark so early in the morning.

Does anyone else ever have that problem with fighting for equipment at the gym? What do you guys to do deal with people who fight for the use of your machines? Any suggestions?

Well, I hope you all are having a great week so far. The weather is beautiful here this week, which always makes it nice to get through a 5 day work week.

Take care!

3 comments:

  1. No, but we have that problem at dance studios (except for mine haha). Everyone gets very territorial about their space in front of the mirror or at the barre--craziness! I say, people need to be a little more flexible...and not just with their stretching! ;) -Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey! just found your blog and love how candid you are!! YES i have fought people for gym equipment before, but usually there's some sort of sign up sheet or I try to be SUPER nice so they feel really bad for being mean to me. hehehe

    Your mac and cheese idea is awesome! I've never heard of a combo quite like that, but it sure looks like the real thing!! :) Look forward to reading more!! Hope the man decides he wants to run at night. hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa, weird dude alert! I'm usually at the gym in the middle of the morning, so it's not at all busy.

    Sundried tomatoes are a wonderful calzone addition - I'm tucking that idea away for future use.

    ReplyDelete