Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A Morning with Me and BFD

I just looked at the calendar and realized that we are half way through May already. That’s unbelievable. Where has this year gone?

Anyhoo, how has Wednesday been treating you? My day was quite pleasant and typical. I’ve been noticing that many of you have been revealing your morning routines on your pages, and I must say, I really enjoy seeing how each of you manages your time every morning. Since I follow a tight regime myself, I thought I would take a moment and share how a typical morning occurs in my own life.

~ 4:30am: Alarm goes off. I change into workout clothes (I lay everything out the
night before and put it in the bathroom so its all ready to go)
~ 4:35am: Arrive at gym (it’s in our development complex) and run 5 miles on
treadmill
~5:25am: Shower, dress, primp
~6:20am: Take Sammy out, turn on computer, and make breakfast
~ 6:45am: Eat, check emails, read blogs
~7:30am: Clean up breakfast, put on jewelry, shoes, one last check in the mirror
~7:45am: Out the door
~7:55am: Arrive at work

I literally have this down to the minute. I know it seems like I take a lot of time in the morning, but I really HATE to feel rushed, especially in the AM, and I thoroughly enjoy having ample time to relax and enjoy the sunrise. It’s worth the early wake up call in my opinion.

Moving along, as I said before, the day was pretty standard. We fulfilled our traditional Wednesday night BFD obligations by cooking up some egg sammies and home fries. I use to always make my egg sandwiches on English muffins and realized that I haven’t made them this way for awhile. I’ve been tampering with so many other wonderful bread options that I kind of forgot about the muffins. It sounded perfect tonight for some reason.

I whisked together 2 egg whites with a TBL of Dijon, rosemary, fresh basil and S&P and then micro waved them for a minute. (This method of cooking egg whites has become my favorite. They seem to get so light and fluffy in the microwave) Then, I laid out each muffin half, spread a scant amount of pumpkin butter and laughing cow cheese on each side, topped with some spinach leaves, and avocado. I then distributed the egg whites over the avocado and put in the hot oven to bake a little.

The home fries were a combo of diced sweet potato and butternut squash. My fool proof method of home fries never disappoints. I slice up the potatoes and sauté them in a skillet with a little evoo, S&P, and paprika. Once they are browned, I transfer the skillet into a hot oven to finish cooking. At the end, I throw in a handful of spinach to wilt over the warm spuds and of course, drizzle them in ketchup. So delish!

Toly had bacon and cheese on his Sammie and regular Idaho home fries. We also had some fruit on the side.

The more I eat eggs, the more I am realizing that I really enjoy egg whites over the standard egg. I think the only time I really enjoy a good egg is when Toly makes them. I’m really not sure what he does differently, but his eggs are always perfect. They are just the right amount of yoke consistency- not runny and not overdone. Although I really can only enjoy eggs like these on a rare occasion, it has been awhile, so maybe he should be in charge of the next BFD! ;)


Toly's Egg Sammie

And Mine, mm mm ammaazzziinnnggg!

5 comments:

  1. I can't believe you get up so early!! What time do you usually go to bed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would TOTALLY order your sammie off a restaurant menu. That looks super professional and so tasty!!

    Dang YES YOU GET UP SO EARLY!!! I don't have that motivation in the morning....kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those egg sams look too good for words.

    Brillz idea about baking the home fries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BFD is always a winner!

    I've always considered myself a morning person, but 4:30? You are a champ, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey I just started reading! This might be obvious or something... but what does BFD mean?

    ReplyDelete