Sunday, May 10, 2009

How Does Your Garden Grow?

I feel refreshed, relaxed and rewarded by a nice laid back weekend. I actually accomplished everything I intended and even had some time to just unwind. This was the first weekend in awhile, where I didn't feel rushed to get it all in; everything just feel into place and seemed to go my way. (That NEVER happens, am I right?!?)

Saturday morning I woke up bright and early with the sun and had such a glorious run! I completed my normal Long Distance run of 8 miles on the treadmill and then was still so invigorated by the beautiful sun and cool morning breeze, that I decided to take another mile loop around the neighborhood. It was actually relaxing and I fully enjoyed every minute. You all know when you have these kinds of run, you have to go with them! :)

After running and showering, I whipped up some good old weekend oats and then waited for my dad to arrive so we finally get serious on the garden. I have been looking forward to this for weeks and the weather finally cooperated for us to get all of my beautiful plants in the ground.

My dad is truly the best man alive. I can't tell you all how much I adore this man, mostly because him and I are so much alike it's actually kind of scary. He showed up with a trunk full of fantastic veggies to start me off. Let's see, we planted 7, yes 7 different tomato plants, kale, cucumber, eggplant, squash, arugula, peppers, and herbs.


Seeing this, makes my heart happy. I can not wait until my little beauties come up.


Is there anything better than fresh basil, straight from your backyard?


Sammy was on bunny guard! He is my designated security pup and in charge of keeping those nosy little kritters out of my terrace.


After a wonderful morning in the dirt, we cleaned up and headed out to run some errands. Toly and I were on a hunt for new bedroom furniture and had intended to just go look around; however, we stumbled upon a entire suite that we both loved and with an even better price that we seriously could not pass up. So, we said, "wrap it up!" (Well, it still has to be delivered, but you get the idea)

After running errands, having a nice lunch out, visiting our friends who just had a baby, we were spent by the time we got home. Nothing sounded better than making dinner, opening a bottle of wine, and crashing on the couch with a DVD-so that is just what we did.

Today, was of course Mother's Day. Our mother's asked us if we would honor them by all getting together (my family and Toly's) so we planned a big family style dinner at my mom's favorite, Red Lobster. We always have a great time when we get the whole gang together and both of our mother's fully enjoyed it.


Me, my amazing mother, and my sister.


Toly's sister, his(my MIL) outstanding mom, and Toly
Both our mother's are incredible and it was such a pleasure honoring them today.
Hope your weekends were just as fulfilling and relaxing and for all of you mom's out there, HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great start to a veggie garden! I love fresh basil and fresh tomatoes paired together - still warm from the sun.

    ReplyDelete