Wednesday, January 7, 2009

BFD...a true favorite!

Breakfast has to be my favorite meal of the entire day. Each morning, I look forward to my usual bowl of bran flakes and soy milk and on the weekends, I usually spice things up a little. My specialities include...banana pancakes, egg sandwiches, and french toast. Well, there are certain times where I just can not wait for the weekend and give in to a good old fashion BFD (breakfast for dinner). Since Toly is just as enthused as I with all things breakfast related, this sits just fine with him. Tonight, was one of those nights. I decided to tweak my usual french toast recipe, however, and make it even a little more decadent than usual. The end result was a fabulous strawberry stuffed french toast.
I fully believe in eating all things wonderful in life, and the best part about making things at home is you can control how you make it. Even though this normally would sound like a real diet killer, my version was relatively healthy because I was able to modify the ingredients.

BFD is a great alternative to the usual dinner options. It's fast, cheap and delicious. I suggest you give it a try next time you are in a crunch around dinner time and tired of the usually chicken and potatoes.

Here is my recipe (I made this one up as I went, like most of my recipes, but I will try to replicate as best I can)....


Lauren's Strawberry Stuffed French Toast

makes 2 servings


4 slices of Cinnamon Raisin Bread

2 Tablespoons of strawberry cream cheese (I used Wegman's brand red. fat and it's fabulous!)

2 Tablespoons of strawberry jam (I used smuckers all fruit spread)

3 large sliced strawberries

1/4 cup egg beaters

1/4 cup skim milk

1 teaspoon vanilla

palm full of ground cinnamon


Spread 1 Tbl. of cream cheese on two slices of the bread. Spread the other slice with the jam. Place the slices of strawberries on the piece with the cream cheese and top with the remaining bread. (the one with the jam) In a bowl, mix the egg beaters, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon. Dip the sandwich into the batter and place in a hot pan or griddle coated with cooking spray. Cook for about 4-5 min per side or until golden brown and the jam begins to melt a little.

Top with whipped cream, strawberries and syrup.

ENJOy!!!

I forgot to take a picture of our actual meal, but here is one I found that comes the closest to what mine actually looked like.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm...strange that your husband champions B.F.L while at work and that you champion something he has never mentioned to us, B.F.D. Could this be a sign of strife in the Podolsky household??

    ReplyDelete