Friday, September 2, 2011

Friday Happenings


Let's take a quick look at some of the notable happenings this week: 

Around SWYNTS ~ 
  • I realized I am working 3 jobs right now and feeling a little overwhelmed about neglecting some things in my personal life. {Catch Up Here}
  • I immediately rectified this by having an emergency lunch date with my beloved dad.           {Catch Up Here}
  • I set a new set of mini goals for a new month. {Catch Up Here}

Around the Blog World ~ 
  • Lisa wrote an deeply honest but prevailing post on her final thoughts about the HLS and her stance on blogging. {See It Here} 
  • I want {THIS}, and wash it down with a little of {THIS}, okay a lot of this. 
  • Happy Birthday to one of my favorite (and longest) blog friends, Erica. (Who also happens to be a brand new mama) 
For Your Entertainment: 
  • Rocking out to this song right now- {OAR, Heaven
  • Saw {THIS} the other day and was inspired. 
  • If you want to check out my presentation slides (Budgeting for a Healthy Lifestyle) from the HLS, you can do so {HERE}.  I had a few requests to post these but I kept forgetting.  Sorry about the delay. 
And finally, I've saved the very best for last. 

Starbucks DOES have Pumpkin Spice back on the menu!!!!  

Here is the deal: I heard a rumor that it was back but not being advertised for a few more weeks.  You have to go and specifically request it and they are obligated to give it to you.  I heard some people had trouble, but I tried it today and it worked.  I was the very first order of the season at my S-Bux and the barista even told me on the box, it clearly states, "only give out if a customer requests." 

Fall is officially here with the welcome of PSL's back at The Bux. 

Other fun finds: 



Found this at Target of all places.  They also had a few other flavors but I've always been partial to their Poppy Seed. 


On the back of the bottle, there is a recipe for Panera's Summer Fruit Salad.  I decided to make my own.

Lettuce, Berries, Broccoli, Cabbage, Tofu, Sesame Almonds, Poppy Seed Dressing

I also killed a HUGE sushi craving today.  During my outings, I needed to swing into Wegmans to grab something and the sushi case called my name. 

Brown Rice Spicy Lump Crab Roll

 I split this with Toly but it was just enough to curb my desire.


Lastly, the best thing I've made/ate all week:


Sweet Potato Black Bean Burgers 


  • 15oz black beans, drained + rinsed
  • 3c cubed sweet tater, cooked + skin on [~1.5lbs]
  • 2/3c finely chopped onion [1/2 medium onion]
  • 2 large garlic cloves, finely minced
  • 1/2c cooked quinoa
  • 6T rolled oats, partially ground
  • 2T salted pumpkin seeds
  • 1/2t salt
  • black pepper
  • 1t cumin
  • 1t oregano
  • 1t chili powder
  • 1/4t cayenne 
  • 1T olive oil
  1. Preheat your oven to 375* once you finish cooking the quinoa + potato.
  2. Mash half of the beans in a bowl until paste-like.
  3. Add in the rest of the beans and give a very light stir/mash to combine.
  4. In a large bowl, mash the sweet tater.  Each cube should be mashed, but you don’t want it creamy.
  5. Stir in the salt, pepper, oregano, chili powder, cayenne and olive oil, until combined.
  6. Mix in the onion, garlic, black beans, quinoa, sunflower seeds, and ground oats, until just combined.
  7. Taste, and adjust seasonings to your liking.
  8. Form into balls, between your hands and flatten into 1/2”-3/4” thick patties.  This should make 8 medium/large patties.
  9. Place on a pan lined with parchment paper [or lightly greased pan] and bake on each side for 15min, flipping once, half-way through. (I threw mine on the grill for the last 5 min of cooking to get that authentic BBQ taste) 



 Burgers + Beer….just a good match.



Time for bed soon!  These 7am Saturday RPM classes kind of kill my Friday nights but let's face it, not much has changed from before.  I like to save the "partying" for Saturday.  And by "partying" I mean staying up until 10pm and watching a movie.  I know, I live on the edge. 


Photobucket