Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Strawberry Basil Orzo Salad with Feta


This summer, I seem to be enjoying more and more grain based salads.  I've noticed that with my Chron's, eating the amount of raw vegetables that I used to was not working so well in the process of digesting.  The solution, I discovered, was to pair the vegetables with a grain based carb and that seemed to aid in the break down of raw veggies.  

So that is when my passion for coming up with grain based salads amounted.  I've been playing around with ingredients such as quinoa, millet, and wheat berries, and my most recent addition…orzo. 

Strawberry Basil Orzo Salad with Feta 


  • 1 C cooked Orzo Pasta 
  • 1/2 C sliced strawberries
  • 1 cucumber, diced
  • 1/4 C crumbled feta
  • 2 T Almonds (I used sesame coated) 
  • 1/2 C fresh torn basil 
  • 2 T Lemon juice
  • 1 T Olive Oil 
Combine first five ingredients into a large bowl.  Add the basil and lemon juice.  Stream in olive oil and stir.  Add salt and pepper to taste. 



This salad serves as a perfect summer side dish. You could also add a bit of protein like I did last night and make an entire meal out of it. 

Enjoy! 

Photobucket