Thursday, July 21, 2011

Fight-Or-Flight


The other day, my friend sent me a very empowering article entitled, 

"Is the Life You're Living Worth the Price You're Paying to Live It?"


Quite a provoking title.  I actually found this to be so profound that I shared it during my team meeting this morning. 

The article went on to explain how so many of us live in a high pressured environment of demand, complexity and uncertainly.  We think its okay to push ourselves to our limits when things get tough, and in return, we become automatically defensive in most other aspects of our lives.  The author explains that just as our body goes into fight-or-flight mode when we are being attacked, it's only natural to reach this state of hyperarousal but our bodies then do self-soothing exercises to bring it back to its healthy state.  

When we constantly feel pressured, stressed, under appreciated, or emotionally and mentally attacked, we enter into the same fight-or-flight state, only the difference is, we never really come out of it.  Having those hormones culminate in our bodies is not only harmful to us physically, but mentally and emotionally.  We loose our ability to become reflective, intuitive, and creative.  We are always in defense mode. 

He goes on to say things we should do throughout the day to help us achieve this level of balance.  Things like becoming physically active, meditating, taking regular breaks, but also feeling the appreciation of others by taking care of them - which in return builds trust and appreciation of ourselves. 

Breakfast 

Mango, Kiwi, Raspberries, Raspberry Chobani, 1/4 C Raw Oats, 2 T Granola, Chia, Sunflower Seed Butter


 The more I thought about this, the more I realized how lately, I've been in a complete state of defense.  It even comes out in my tone of voice, but the things that I say are starting to sound more dictating rather than  reflective.

As Toly and I talked over dinner, we realized that over the past year, we've been through quite a lot.  It has been one big emotional roller coaster and my limits have been pushed to places I never knew I was capable of going.

Lunch 


The other 1/2 of my Wrap from yesterday  (even better today!!)

Last of my leftover Black Bean Mango Salad 


Even though almost every gain we've endured has been positive, it's still been pressing on my emotional health.  The solution……

I NEED A VACATION!!!!

Toly and I can not WAIT to get away next month for an entire week in Napa.  We need this, for us and for ourselves.

Dinner 

It seems as though this summer, I can not get enough of grilled vegetables and hummus.  And it also seems as though I've been eating this particular salad frequently.

Grilled Vegetables, Grilled Polenta, Hummus, Roasted Red Pepper Spread, Balsamic, Feta 




Even though the heat index reached a dangerous 110 today, I still somehow convinced Toly to eat outside.



In other news, check out my new favorite kicks….


Considering I'll be partaking in 18 hours of cycling in a few weeks, I figured buying the proper shoes would be beneficial. 

I'll be announcing the winner of my GIVEAWAY tomorrow morning.  If you haven't entered yet, you have a few more hours. 

Do you ever feel like your in fight-or-flight mode with your every day life?  How do you cope? 

Photobucket