Thursday, June 23, 2011

Healthy Contradiction?


So I was thinking about something today and I wanted to get your opinion on it…..

Should gym's offer tanning beds?  My gym does and the more I thought about it, the more it seemed to me like having a tanning bed in a gym is like having a smoking section in a hospital.  Just some food for thought…..

More food for thought….


 Breakfast

1/4 C Kashi Go Lean, 1/4 C Kashi Honey Sunshine, Banana, Black Raspberries, Almond Milk, tsp Cinnamon Raisin PB 


Lunch 
Leftover Mango Salad on top of greens with pizza croutons (leftover Amy's pizza diced) 

I also made myself a rather sorry smoothie.  It was good just not very much.  It's all I had left though and I still enjoyed the 2 sips I managed to get. 

Frozen Mango and Pineapple, OJ, Spinach, Protein Powder


Dinner

I had the BEST dinner tonight.  Toly was out for the evening so I used the opportunity to make something a bit more avant-garde.

Creamy Zucchini Pasta with Arugula Basil Mint Pesto 


I swear I don't really like pasta all that much.  I know many people say that just because they don't want people to think they don't like pasta but I actually don't like it.  I would so much rather eat a heaping bowl of veggies covered in tomato sauce, or even just the sauce.  Unless the pasta is stuffed with a veggie, I usually opt for something else. 

I love the idea of pasta dishes though, so the idea of using a veggie for the noodle base is a concept that seemed perfect for me. 


To make this, I simply peeled an entire zucchini into long strips and drained the excess moisture into paper towels.  While this was drying, I steamed the broccoli and asparagus in a skillet and removed when tender.  Then I added the zucchini to the skillet and let this soften (about 5 min) before adding a heaping amount (probably 1/4 Cup) of my Arugula Basil Mint Pesto and one Laughing Cow Garlic and Herb Cheese wedge.  I mixed this all together so that the zucchini was covered with the creamy sauce and then added my veggies into the mix.  




I served this with a piece of garlic toast (1 slice of bread with a little butter and garlic salt) and topped it all with fresh grated parmesan cheese.

This dish blew my mind.


It could easily be vegan too.  Just eliminate the cheese and presto.  You want raw?  Just don't cook the zucchini.  I actually do better when my veggies are slightly cooked; too much raw vegetables are hard for me to digest, so that is why I sautéed mine first. 

I'm taking a few days off to go enjoy myself in Atlantic City at the 3 Day Dave Matthews Festival.  I'll be back to recap on Sunday.  

Have a wonderful weekend everyone! 

Photobucket