Monday, June 27, 2011

Betta' With Feta

Having a dairy intolerance, I am quite limited in my ability to consume most cheeses. Honestly, I try to stay away from most cheeses all together; however, there are a few select that I am able to tolerate in small dosages and there is one cheese in particular that I would have incredible difficulties giving up entirely…..feta!! 

I have always loved feta.  I love the sharp salty bite it has, I love the chewy texture, I love that you only need a small amount to obtain major flavor from any dish. 

When the kind people from Euphrates contacted me about receiving some of their product to try, I couldn't turn it down. 



Euphrates is actually from the same company that founded Chobani and makes delicious feta cheese products using top rated, authentic ingredients.

I was expecting to receive a little tub or block of cheese but unbeknownst to me, within just a day or two, a humungous cooler arrived on my door step containing not one, but two gigantic blocks of feta.
 

I should probably mention that I live with a man who loves feta almost more than I do.  Thank goodness for that!

I was asked to make a recipe using the cheese so that they could feature it on their new website.  Now, I use feta in many recipes, but I wanted to come up with something original yet simple.

I was going to make some kind of salad but thought I should kick it up a notch from the ordinary Greek Salad.  That was too predictable.

Going along with a Mediterranean theme, I came up with a true winning recipe.

Mediterranean Cous Cous Salad 


  • 1 Box of Whole Grain Cous Cous
  • 4 oz Euphrates Feta Cheese 
  • 1/4 C Sundried Tomatoes
  • 1 can Artichoke hearts
  • 2 Cups Baby Spinach
  • 1/4 C fresh basil 
  • 2 T fresh parsley 
  • 2 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Salt and Pepper to taste 
Cook the cous cous as directed.  Once done, remove from heat and set aside.  Meanwhile, cube the cheese and place in a large bowl.  Chop the tomatoes, artichokes, spinach and herbs and add to the cheese.  Fold in the cous cous and drizzle in olive oil.  Mix together, adding salt and pepper as desired. 




Last night, I paired this wonderful salad with a piece of grilled haddock.  I created a basil avacaod pesto to garnish on top which turned out incredible.


Tonight, I used the same salad to make a meal sized salad but this time, added a little more feta….


With the addition of grilled vegetables, hummus, and a homemade Tzatziki sauce.



This feta is some of the best feta I've ever had.  Very authentic, fresh, and flavorful.  I still have enough to last me a few years but that's okay because you know what they say….

Everything's betta' with feta! :) 


Photobucket