Monday, May 16, 2011

Why I Won't Have a Good Week


 Have I ever told you my theory about Monday's?  

Monday's are the deterrent days of the week.  I always feel that if I have a good day on a Monday, it sets the stage for the potential of a perfect week.  When Monday's turn against me, I feel the opposite and fear a week of doom and gloom.  

Today did not exactly give me hope for a perfect week. Thankfully, it got a little better but I'm still not convinced. 

It began with a tough run.  Usually, my runs on Monday's are the best because my legs are so fresh from taking the weekend off.  Not today.  I was totally expecting to feel completely loose and limber from yoga but apparently, yoga only stirred the pot.  I think my body was telling me it needs to stretch more because I do one class for the first time in months and my muscles went into shock.  

Regardless, I pushed through a 7 mile run in just under an hour. 

Breakfast 

Breakfast was good, but then when is it not? 

1/4 C Kashi H2H, 1/4 C Natures Path Ancient Grains, Blueberries, Blackberries, Homemade Granola (more on that recipe to come) 

By the time lunch rolled around, I couldn't make up my mind on what I wanted.  Smoothies, Wraps, and Salads kept entering my head but I couldn't decide on one.

After staring at the contents of my fridge for awhile, I finally chose the most realistic choice of leftovers.

Lunch

I made a salad using the leftover Gnocchi from last night.


And heated up the last bit of soup (Roasted Red Pepper, Spinach, and White Bean).  It tasted much better than it looks I swear.


I also toasted a slice of whole wheat bread with hummus more as a utensil for the soup.  Eating soup with bread is so much more fun than a spoon don't you agree?


It looks like a lot but there was really only a small amount of soup left (maybe a 1/4 Cup).  I was especially hungry today though so I probably would have benefitted from a little more soup.


When I got off work, I saw something I didn't think I would be seeing all week.  The sun!

We haven't seen the sun since last Thursday and apparently, it's going to be a full 7 days of rain.  Not my cup of tea!

But surprisingly, the sun came out this afternoon and I wanted to make sure I got my dose.

I decided to walk outside but then my walk somehow turned into a run.  I haven't run outside much this year and even though I ran this morning, I noticed this time, my legs felt 100 x better.  I just went with it and ended up doing 3 miles.  Whoa, where did that come from??

I finished with some strength work and waited for Toly to get home before I started dinner.

I recently bought my friend some Nutritional Yeast after I told her how much I loved it.  She emailed me asking for recipes and ideas since she had never used it before.  Naturally, I told her to try Mama P's Mmmm Sauce but I also remembered a certain Nacho "Cheeze" Sauce I've been meaning to make.


Vegan Nacho "Cheeze" Sauce 

  • 1/2 Cup Raw Cashews
  • 2 TBL Nutritional Yeast
  • 1/2 Cup Water
  • Garlic
  • Salt
  • 1 tsp Chili Powder
  • 1/2 tsp Cumin 
  • 1/2 tsp Cayenne 
  • 1 tsp oregano 
Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.  

This was fantastic!!!  Not quite the same as the Mmm Sauce but perfect for dinner tonight. 

Dinner



I made "Taco" Salads using roasted tofu, zucchini and squash, black beans, rice and broccoli.  The dressing was the "Cheeze" sauce. 

I'm not sure if anyone has seen these yet but this is the latest flavor of Food Should Taste Good Tortilla Chips. 

If you though the cheddar was good, wait until you try these.  I think it may be my new favorite. 



Taco Salad perfection! 

I have great plans for lunch tomorrow with the leftovers. 

So as I finish this, I realized I neglected to tell you the rest of the story and why my day was not the greatest. 

I had to be at a school today and on my way back, I needed to stop in a health food store (that was in the same city of the school) to pick up something I had ordered months ago.  I haven't been able to get out to this store so I figured today, I would make it a point to run in.  This store is located downtown in this city and I couldn't find any parking on the street.  After getting annoyed for almost 10 min, I finally found one down the road about 1/2 a mile.  I parallel parked (not very well) put some quarters in the meter and ran over to the store.  As soon as I got to the store, I realized it wasn't even open.  Frustrated, I ran back to my car in my 3 inch heels only to discover a parking ticket!!! I couldn't have been away from my car for more than a minute and I managed to get a ticket for parking more than 12 inches from the curb!!  Seriously????  This is the 2nd time I've gotten a parking ticket in this city when I was away from my car for less than a minute and I'm beginning to think the cops are out for me here.  They must wait for me to get out and then strike!  Ugh, not cool!! 

So I guess it could have been worse but breaking the law is not how I like to start off the week. 


Photobucket