Monday, November 22, 2010

No Cookies Before Turkey



Happy Thanksgiving Week!  

As much as I do love Thanksgiving, I have to say, I'm pretty pumped for it to be over.  Why you ask?

Well to me, this means I can fully start the Christmas season.  I'm that person who just can't justify doing anything Christmas related until after Turkey Day, it just seems so unconventional.  

So starting Friday, let the Christmas fever begin.  Shopping, Christmas Decorating, jamming out to Taylor Swift's Christmas album, it's on! 

But since we still have this holiday to get to, I won't stray too much yet.  I've finally decided on my contributions to the Thanksgiving table this year. 
  • Baked Cornbread Pudding
  • Green Beans with Almonds and Cranberries
  • Roasted Maple Veggies
  • Oatmeal Pecan Pie
I'm pretty happy with these decisions and think I could probably make an entire meal on these things alone.  Oh and with my sister's mother in law's Sweet Potato Casserole.  It's not Thanksgiving without this signature dish, or at least it's not a Thanksgiving worth having. 

Today wasn't anything too exciting, just your ordinary Monday. 

Breakfast: 


 Total Raisin Bran, PB Puffins, 1/2 Banana, Blueberries, 1/2 Banana Nut Vita Top, Blueberry Okios 

 With seasonal citrus.  Oh how glorious citrus is this time of year. 

After a long day, a trip to the gym, and feeling pretty exhausted, I walked in the door to the overpowering smell of baked dough.

Look at what my dad had been up to while everyone was away……


This my friends, is a pasty.  My mom's parent's were English and my grandma carried over several traditional English dishes before she passed.  We like to honor some of her traditions like eating Yorkshire Pudding every New Years Day, Sausage Rolls every Christmas, and the traditional Pasty on occasion.

My dad honored my dietary stance by making mine all veggie.
 Beets, Parsnips, Squash, Carrots, Onions and Cabbage

Traditionally, these delicacies are eaten with ketchup. Of course this way is fantastic, but I also opted to try another condiment that my friend Jen recently picked up for me. 


How great it was!  I love that my dad has Monday's off and can come up with these creative kitchen creations for us all to enjoy after a long hard day.

What is everyone doing for Thanksgiving this year? Honoring Old Traditions or Starting New Ones?



Photobucket

9 comments:

  1. I agree! I feel totally odd doing Christmas-y things before Thanksgiving is over. Great choices for t-giving cooking/baking. I can't wait to see them all. And your Dad's dinner? BEAUTIFUL work. For Thanksgiving- we're going to my parents house with my Aunt and Uncle and their kids. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on holding out on Christmas related stuff until after Thanksgiving. It just feel right! :)

    This year we'll be going to Isaac's family's house and enjoying Thanksgiving with them. I'm excited.

    I hope your T-day is lovely Miss Lauren.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet Potato Butter? HOly cow!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a yummy looking vegetable pastry...that looks so very good! And your holiday menu sounds even more tantalizing. I'm excited to hear more about your oatmeal pecan pie! Thank you for sharing with me...I hope you have a wonderful week of feasting, friends and family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My hubby and I are headed to Pittsburgh for Thanksgiving with his dad's side of the family. This is new for us, as we went to his mom's family in DC last year. This is my second year being away from my family on Thanksgiving, which is much each than being away from them at Christmas!

    P.S. Your breakfast bowl looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - sweet potato butter?! I'm familiar with apple butter and pumpkin butter, but I've never heard of sweet potato butter - I bet it's amazing! Where do you find such a thing?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pastys always make me think of Harry Potter- I used to wish I was English just so I could eat the kind of food they had at Hogwarts. The veggie one looks so yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. sweet potato butter!? I have never heard of that before.. sounds super cool! I am also diggin the oatmeal pecan pie on your thanksgiving list :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This year we're spending T-giving at my Grammy's. This will be the first holiday without Grampy and her birthday falls on that day too. It'll be me, my husband and my parents. I'm in charge of cookies: orange pumpkin. Yummy. Have a great holiday!!

    ReplyDelete