Friday, December 4, 2009

Living the Life of Recovery

Good morning loves!

I must admit, I've been enjoying my days of rest and relaxation and actually have been feeling a little spoiled. I'm not really use to sitting around and doing nothing, so having this mandatory order has been a nice change and fully enjoyed.

First up, I am sure you notice a different look on the blog. I have been wanting to do some major renovations on SWYNTS for months now, and after I found the wonderful creations of Ellie at Rainday Templates, I knew her style was exactly what I had in mind. Ellie is a complete doll and does BEAUTIFUL work. The whole process was super easy and I really didn't have to worry about a thing. I am in love with the new look and I can't thank this woman enough. :) If you are looking to update your blog or want to add anything special, please go check her out!

I am still happy to report that recovery has been going well. I truly am floored at how good it has been. I'm still on the pain meds but I think I am going to start to decrease the amount and try to slowly transition to just Advil over the next few days. I know that I still need it because when I wake up in the morning is when I experience the most pain, but as soon as I get on the meds, I really don't have much pain at all. Only side effect is that they do knock me out, so I've been getting many naps and not much moving, but that's not really a bad thing.

Oh and the eating is still going well! Thank heavens!!! I've still been enjoying my share of yogurt, oats and Green Monsters (thanks to the loves in my life who keep stopping by with XL smoothies from my favorite cafe down the street. I think the baristas there have made more "Green Machines" in the past 2 days than they have all year!)

Last night, I was actually craving something a little more substantial for dinner. I haven't really eaten a "real" meal yet, but I still wanted to keep it on the soft and easy side.

I remembered that I had some Butternut Squash ravioli in the freezer and decided that past sounded like a good idea. I paired the ravioli with some roasted Brussels and butternut squash (cut into little pieces) and made a quick but sensational pumpkin pomegranate sauce that consisted of about 1/2 cup of canned pumpkin, a few TBL of Pom juice, Laughing Cow cheese wedge, Plain Greek Yogurt, Dijon, salt, pepper and parsley.







I layered the ravioli on a bed of baby spinach, topped with the veggies, sauce and then added a few Pom Arils and a little feta that melted on top.



It was incredible! And quite impressive by throwing together in the matter of 10 min and on a total whim. It felt good to get some real food in my tummy and a nice serving of veggies.

Toly has been eating well too, don't worry. I really think he has been getting the better deal out of this because so many people have stopped by with meals for him, fearing that he would go hungry over the next few days without his wife's cooking.



Our fridge is stocked with lasagnas, chicken pot pie, taco soup and pizza. Not to mention the vast array of cookies, rice krispy treats, and gummy bears. Hmmmm, I believe these foods are not intended for one recovering from mouth surgery. ;)

This morning, I woke in a little less pain than yesterday and less swollen. The swelling has been surprisingly mild, especially compared to my last surgery. I think this doctor just did a really good job. Amazing how things turn out when you get a doctor who knows what he is doing.

Anyways, I slept until about 7am and made my way downstairs to get some meds and start icing. About an hour later, it was time to eat and get more meds. I will not be making the mistake of taking the antibiotics on an empty stomach again. Holy goodness does that make a girl queasy.
I was set on creating a perfect bowl of pumpkin oats. (Having noting but time in the mornings really makes a great opportunity to perfect a bowl of oats)


I must say, this bowl exceeded my expectations. Perfect texture and consistency.


The toppings were superb today. You all know how I adore the combination of Blackberries and pumpkin, but today I discovered how banana not only tastes wonderful mashed into the oats, but also sliced on top.
Pumpkin Banana Oats with blackberries, banana slices, crumbled pumpkin flax muffin pieces, pumpkin butter and mighty maple. Perfect bowl!


Perfect bite!

Served in my adorable new mugs that my Nanny brought over yesterday. I am in love with the new breakfast decor. You all know how I feel about food tasting better in bowls, well the same goes for over-sized mugs!



I savored breakfast in the most relaxed surroundings.


On the couch, in my PJ's and with a side of Gossip Girl.
Kath is right, watching G.G over breakfast is a wonderful way to start the day. I'm getting quite use to this kind of life.



The company is also quite nice.

Sammy is doing an extraordinary job of taking care of a sick patient. His cuddling skills are right on and he makes sure to partake in just as much rest so that I am not feeling lonely.
I guess I should peel myself off this couch and try to clean myself up a bit. My sister is coming over this afternoon to engage in this recovery process with me.

I don't know if I mentioned this, but she actually had surgery on the same day that I did. It was so ironic that both of us were scheduled to have procedures done on the same day and time. Hers was for a different issue, as she had to have a few tumors removed that were growing on her kidneys. Thankfully, it wasn't as serious as it sounds, but her recovery has been a rough one. She spent the last 2 days quite sick in the hospital from the effects of the surgery, but thankfully, she is home now and feeling better. Her hubby is dropping her off this afternoon and we are going to spend the day watching movies in our PJ's and slippers. Misery loves company right!?!?

It's actually kind of cool that we went through this together. My mom told me that as soon as she woke up from her surgery she asked about me and I did the exact same thing when I woke up from mine.

So, I would say that "My Sister's Keeper" will make the most appropriate movie for us to watch today. ;)
Hope everyone has a wonderful Friday!!!

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. I love the new look!!!! It is gorgeous and sooooo YOU! I can't believe you made your own sauce...well I can believe it but I'm so jelly of your cooking skills. Seriously. Which season GG are you on?? I haven't watched any of season 3 yet minus the first episode. Boo for not having time to watch TV at school. Glad you are getting a much needed break. I'm hoping for speedy recoveries for you and sis. Have fun watching My Sister's Keeper although it'll make you cry....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the new look!!! It suits your personality perfectly and even food looks extra delicious. hehehe

    I'm so happy you're doing so much better in recovery!!! It's always a great sign when you feel like you can get off pain meds!!! :) You have definitely been a role model and eating delicious food!!! Hope your weekend is awesome and more good food keeps coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear the recovery is going well. Just relax & enjoy your GG! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The new layout is gorgeous! And I'm so happy your recovery is going well :) I'm amazed your eats look so delicious--that ravioli dish looks incredible! Keep getting some good R&R girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your raviolo look soooo good! And beautiful!

    Sammy is too cute! And "My Sister's Keeper" was a really good book, I didn't know there was a movie.

    I look forward to reading your blog -- love the layout!

    ReplyDelete