Monday, September 7, 2009

Mom's Birthday Trip To Baltimore

Happy Labor Day!
I love having an extra day to the weekend. Wish everyone was like this, but I guess beggars can't be choosers.

Today, we planned to celebrate my Mom's Birthday, which is on Wednesday this week. She insisted that we not make a big fuss over this monumental year for her (50 is something to celebrate) and only wanted to spend the day with her family doing something relaxing and fun. We all put our heads together, and came up with a day trip to Inner Harbor to which she happily agreed.

Before we left, I started the day with a 5 mile run. I was up earlier than I had planned (just couldn't sleep) so I just decided to get up and start the day. When I run in the mornings, it's super early and still dark (4:30am). I usually use the gym treadmill because I don't feel comfortable running in the dark hours of the morning, but since it was an hour later than I usually run, I figured I could get in a good 5 miles outside and the sun would start to rise shortly after I started.

Well, I was wrong. I ran the entire 5 miles doing my route around some neighborhoods, but it was dark the entire time and I felt very uncomfortable. I kept thinking it would get light soon, but it never did. I realized that this was a stupid idea and all it made me do is run faster. So, although it was a good speedy run, it was probably not the smartest move on my part. Thankfully, my prayers to keep me safe worked and I returned home safely.

When I got home, I did 20 minutes of power pilates and felt extremely loose, just what my tight muscles needed.

I actually wasn't very hungry this morning and I believe it's due to the big bowl of ice cream I ate before bed. I LOVE ice cream, but it dairy doesn't love me back the same way. Whenever I eat too much, my tummy reminds me of this.

I waited a bit and then settled for a light breakfast to give me some nourishment for the day.

I started with fruit, a little yogurt and some granola

And 1/2 of a honey oat bagel with PB and a smashed nanner.


Toly's breakfast was very photogenic. I made him an egg sammy with bacon, ham and cheese.

All together, this breakfast really worked. Not too heavy but just enough to refuel and keep me going.
Toly felt the same about his...


Inner Harbor is a great day trip for us. With just being a little over an hour away, we all love Baltimore for the many wonderful sights, restaurants, and shops.
We left the itinerary up to the birthday girl and she decided on the Aquarium.

Toly getting some MIL love!

And me doing the same with Pops...


The Aquarium was fun and the new exhibits were very cool.
Being Labor day, I found it appropriate to kiss the next best thing from a teamster......


A fishy!
I found Nemo!


And then I found this guy in the Rain forest....such a handsome species.






Next up was the Dauphin show (my favorite part). We had to wait awhile before it began, so put on our own pre-production....

Man, they should have put us in the show. We could have been just as entertaining to watch as the dauphins!
Okay, maybe not, but the dauphins were definitely entertaining.




After all of this, we were starving. The Cheesecake Factory is our go-to stop when we visit Inner Harbor.
Brooke and Jason (my sister and her hubby) showing off their excitement for the day, or for food because like I said, we were all pretty hungry.



Toly pretty much orders the same thing every time. The Buffalo Blasts, which is basically deep fried buffalo chicken dip in a crispy wonton. Such a dude food.



I chose the lunch special of a small pizza and salad. I ordered the roasted veggie and goat cheese pizza but asked for no mozzarella. So, let me ask you something, when you order a pizza and ask for no cheese, you expect that your pie will come that way, right? It's not that abused right?
Well, of course, my pizza came out loaded with greasy oozing cheese all over. So when I told the waitress it's not what I ordered she impolitely told me that it was NOT in fact mozzarella but fontina. She heard what I said, but subbed a different cheese because to her "You HAVE to have some kind of cheese." I obliged and said, no no, cheese is not a necessity on my pizza so she said she would have them make me a new one in just minutes.
Well after 30 min passed, and the rest of my family had finished their dinners, I was pretty annoyed and not even wanting the pizza anymore. UGH! I HATE when this happens!
Finally, the manager came out with my pizza and apologized. He comped the meal, which was nice of him, but I was still kind of bummed that it was such a crappy experience.
Despite loosing my appetite, I managed to gobble down a few pieces and it was very good, even without the cheese!


In honor of her Birthday, my mom ordered the Godiva Cheesecake and shared bites with the table. This was decanted but very very rich.



The best part of The Cheesecake Factory is indeed the cheesecake. The best I have ever had by far, but I'm convinced they add LSD or crack or something entirely addictive that doesn't allow you to stop eating it.
Wow, it was quite a day. We had a wonderful time and more importantly, my mom was so happy and enjoyed every moment.
Now back to work tomorrow, but at it's a short week. 4 days are manageable.
Hope your Labor Day was spectacular!

15 comments:

  1. Hooray for celebration Mom's birthday and for Cheesecake Factory cheesecake!! Classic :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baltimore is rather fabulous! Happy Birthday to your mom!
    I almost always have to send my food back at least once. It's gotten to be a running family joke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a wonderful time!! Yes, I hate it when something like that happens at a restaurant. One time I wanted no butter on my veggies and twice they put butter on them (yes, even the second time when I told them I ordered them without butter). Ha, needless to say after the 2nd time I gave up.

    Happy Birthday to your mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha love the dude food! What the heck was up with that waitress?! Who just makes their own substitutions for diners? That's crazy she did that!

    All in all though it sounds like a good time!! Happy Birthday to your Mom! My dad just turned 50 this year, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate when they mess my order up, so I understand what you're saying. But at least you still had a good time! I personally can't imagine a pizza without cheese though, but that's just me! Goat cheese IS fabulous, though ain't it?

    Oh, and I always have to run outside...even if it's dark!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lauren! Happy Early Bday to your mama. Cute pics at the aquarium :) I agree that there is something peculiar about the Cheesecake Factory's cheesecake. Super addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YaY!! Glad you guys had such a great day with your mom for her b-day! :D

    I agree, that was pretty rude of the waitress to put on another cheese. If you wanted another one, you would have said so!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe that waitress!!! She has no right to do that, man! Good thing they comped that meal for you. I hate to cause problems for employees/ servers, because I know how much work it is, but I think that's a case where I'd make an exception.

    Glad you still had a good weekend though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. happy birthday to mama! cheesecake is the perfect way to celebrate!

    pizza is good in all forms - with or without cheese. have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. happy bday to your mom! i've been to the cheesecake factory before, but never had the cheesecake!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hahha- I've totally tried to run at that time too- it scares me and I run super fast :)

    awwwwwww what a nice way to celebrate your wonderful mama. Josh has been begging to go to the aquarium! Looks like such a fun time. Love cheesecake factory. Their brown bread is too yummy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw no!! So bummed to hear about the pizza experience! No mozzarella means NO MOZZARELLA!! That pizza looked pretty darn tasty despite being super duper late.

    Glad you had a good time at the aquarium! I thought the dolphin trainer was you at first glance :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Between the food, run and company, it sounds like an awesome weekend! I love the day trip.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohh the celebration looks awesome! You are so freaking cute, and I can't help but smile when I see your smile :D

    That's so strange what the waitress did. Is she the one eating the meal? Didn't think so.

    hey! Guess what today is? Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete