Tuesday, September 1, 2009

For Every Season

The air is crisp and as soon as the sun goes down, the brisk essence of fall makes its sudden entrance into my memory.

I looked at my calendar this morning and realized that the summer months are behind us. Can you believe its September already? I do love this season for many wonderful reasons, most of them revolving around the glorious fall food fare….Pumpkin, Apples, Cinnamon, Gingerbread, Oats…. Some of the best is yet to come and I can’t wait. Bring on everything pumpkin!!!

Well, I figured I should probably spend the last few short weeks trying to savor some of my favorite summer eats.

This would be one of them….

Fruit, Cereal, and yogurt ½ cup of kashi heart to heart½ cup of vanilla okios ½ nectarineBlack/Blueberries But just to celebrate the start of fall, I did accompany this summery cereal bowl with something a bit more seasonal….

Toast with Almond/Pumpkin butter and a ½ of a nanner

This breakfast satisfied my two favorite seasons….


I enjoyed eating a little taste of both summer and fall this morning, I decided to carry it through to lunch.

Continuing with the two season eats…

Lunch was leftovers from last night, Tofu Apricot Stir Fry (Here is the fall)



And Fruit with Cottage cheese, Pineapple, Cantaloupe and Strawberries (And this would be the summer to my meal) I really think that stir fries just taste a whole lot better the next day. The tofu is a sponge to all of the wonderful flavors.

Just because I can’t get enough….
Afternoon snack was more yogurt, fruit and granola (the ideal PM pick me up!)


Okay, lets see if I was able to pull off my double season fare with dinner.

This is a bit of a stretch but I think I made it work.

Grilled Porto Mushroom and Asparagus Panini with spinach and feta

But here is some fall into this summer sammy…

I just spotted this at TJ’s and immediately snatched it from the shelf. Apple Cranberry Chutney was a beautiful addition to this Panini.

Toly’s sammy was turkey, muenster, bacon, apple with the chutney as well.

On the side (some more fall) Roasted Sweet Potato fries and fruit (and a little more summer)

Oh and by the way, this meal also celebrates National Panini Month! You know I’m all about celebrating National Food Holidays!!!

Hmmm, that was fun! It’s like I’m embracing the new season but still holding on a little to summer. This is definitely one of those in-between weeks, so I will transpire with the weather.

Okay, question for you. What do you most look forward to in the Fall?

For me, I think it’s the Biglerville Apple Festival. My BFF Jen and I make this an annual tradition and soak up the abundance of apple heaven. It’s pure joy!

Happy September everyone!

12 comments:

  1. I just found your blog...your eats look delicious! Your apple/pumpkin butter looks yum. I'll be stoppin back :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your eats!!! The tofu stir fry, the fruity breakfast....eveyrthing is gorgeous!!!!

    From the Fall, I look forward to apples, warm boots, and school- believe it or not!!!

    HAPPY WEDNESDAY LAUREN!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh I've been thinking about how my food changes with the seasons. It really hit me today when I was grocery shopping. I'm going to miss the freshness of summer, but I love the warmth of food in the colder months. Thank goodness for both, right?! I look forward to the changing leaves, scarves, apple picking, crisp clean air, and the fairs! I hope I find a boy to hold hands with :D

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm your melty sammies look incredible girl! YUM! I am bummed about summer ending :( I got my 3 cantaloupes for $5 at WFs today (last day of the sale :( ). I most look forward to crisp apples and the pumpkin spice syrup at Starbucks! I have given up all there other syrups but I won't give up that one! Getting a pumpkin spice non fat misto for my birthday tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too love the autumn season - it's my favorite! :) I look forward to the crisp, pleasant temperatures and the changing colors of the leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was craving pumpkin at work today ... mmmm! I love fall, just not what follows ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I look forward to the crisp cool weather. I like the summer and all but there's something about wearing jeans and a sweater that is so perfect. I also love fall food--namely pumpkin. AND Thanksgiving!!! I know people dread the holiday because of all the food but I get to see my family :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is one heck of a sammy! I love all that in there: turkey, muenster, bacon, apple, and the chutney! Cool!

    I love the brisk, crisp air of autumn...and of course the harvest fruits and veggies like PUMPKIN!

    BUT! It's still a long way off before autumn-like weather here..it's still over a 100 degrees!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhh I'm so jealous of everyone's Fall weather :( Fall is my very most favoritist season, and Arizona Fall is not Fall at all. When I'm in Michigan, my fave thing about Autumn is the cool, crisp air and how the leaves turn beautiful colors and the sound you hear when they crunch beneath your feet on a run. I love going to apple orchards and having fresh apple cider, picking pumpkins and apples, and carving jackolanterns for Halloween! Sigh. In Arizona it just gets slightly less hot. In the 90's instead of the 100's.

    Your dinner looks so yummy--love the sandwich and sp fries.

    Haha I am SO done with Summer. It's 108 degrees out, but I made gingerbread spice muffins/cupcakes today. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fall is my FAVORITE season: fashion, apples, pumpkin, cinnamon, cider, donuts!, trees changing colors, Halloween. The list goes on!

    LOVE the portobello panini! It sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE PA apple festivals! I grew up going to one in my neck of the woods. THAT is one my fav things about Fall.

    Your panini looks smashing. Per usual for your food. So dang delish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. you eat really amazing food. i read a post and i want to comment on every. single. thing. you. ate.

    ReplyDelete