Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Falling Into Fall

Happy Fall Everyone!

I can’t believe we are changing seasons again. I also can’t believe that we are more than half way through with September. I swear, blink and you miss just about anything these days.

I do enjoy the fall though. We are lucky to live in a great area that really showcases the beauty of this season. The robust and rich colors of nature, the clean crisp fresh air, the bounty of root vegetables and harvest fruit. It’s all so rustic and full of warmth.


I had big plans to celebrate today with a very autumn-like meal; however, due to some unforeseen dinner altercations, I had to rearrange the schedule. No worries, it will make it on the dinner schedule soon enough.

Tonight, there was some marinated chicken and tofu that was in desperate need of cooking. I’m not really sure how long you are able to marinate tofu, but I originally planned on making this stir fry last night. It didn’t happen, so the tofu has been sitting in this mixture for over 48 hours. I figured it could either be really really good or really really awful. I took the chance hoping for the first outcome.

So a few days ago, I marinated my tofu in a mixture of teriyaki and pineapple juice with a little garlic.

The tofu soaked up every bit of this liquid like a sponge.

First, I pan seared the tofu until browned on both sides.

Remove the tofu from the pan and add your desired veggies. I used what I had on hand, which is how I usually base my stir fries. Quite fitting, this stir fry did take on a fallish essence with the abundance of squash. Zucchini, yellow and butternut.

I also had a package of mushrooms that I added as well and lastly, edamamae.



The sauce was lite coconut milk, PB2, and soy sauce.

For some color, I threw in a handful of purple cabbage and of course large handfuls of spinach.

Once this was cooked, I added the tofu and stirred it all up.

Topped with a few crushed peanuts


And the verdict of the over-marinated tofu……

DELICIOUS! Guess my unintentional planning worked to my advantage. The tofu was so flavorful.

Toly had his own stir fry…..

Orange Teriyaki chicken and lo mien noodles.

Good thing he doesn’t like veggies or else I wouldn’t have the joy of having the great leftovers. And there is nothing I enjoy more than leftover stir fry!

So even though this wasn’t my intentional Kick Off to Fall Dinner, it substituted nicely.

Did anyone else choose to celebrate the season today with an autumn inspired meal? What are some of your favorite fall dinners?

18 comments:

  1. Yep, I had my first butternut squash of the season today :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to get my hands on some butternut!

    Love the looks of your dinner, especially that tofu!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome stir fry! I like how you used pineapple juice as a marinade. And you are correct, tofu sucks everything up like a sponge! Did you make Toly's stir fry, too? That looked yummy as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laureeeeeeeeen!

    Oh my goodnessssssss! Thank you for being so freaking sweet in your comment!! You are so niceeeeeee!!!

    Hurray for a beautiful tofu stir fry!! I could eat tofu everyday and not get sick of it... I mean granted I made it differently some of those days, but you knowwwwwww.. IT'S SO VERSATILE!

    Hurray for Russian loving too in your previous post!! I miss being surrounded by Russians on the ice everyday. They were SO much fun.


    HAPPY WEDNESDAY MISS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, that is a nice substitute indeed! Never knew I'll be craving tofu but I do now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great dinner! my fave fall dinner is roasted everything - beans, veggies, and sweet potatoes or acorn squash....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just had a sweet potato for the first time in a WHILE - hit the spot!!

    I share your feelings on the season - I'm so happy that we actually have 4 seasons despite the fact that I may complain about it from time to time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM YUM and YUM! that tofu looks gorgeous and i am loving all that veg goodness.

    butternut squash here i come!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love fall! Tis my favorite season and I wish it lasted longer. :D Love the stir fry, looks veggielicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some recipes recommend that you leave the tofu marinate overnight.. so 48 hrs is like.. the king of kings lol.

    I've been making tons of kabocha.. you can see in my latest post (my late night snack with it for some real autumnal goodness). Your stir-fry is wonderful. Have you ever tried including some coconut shreds? It's so yummy because it gets toasted and it's just.. oh so good!

    Ooo and you should try cooking red cabbage with apple chunks, honey, and some toasted nuts

    ReplyDelete
  11. your meals definitely make me fully feel the fall lovin! i am scared to make tofu.. always.. haha. i need to bite the bullet! i love cooking with pumpkin this time of year :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love sweet potato casserole--fav Thanksgiving dish by far! Of course I pumpkin and all those squashes! I really want to get creative with them this winter. SO EXCITED!

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey lauren,
    i just came across your blog from katharina's food adventures!
    hmm butternut sounds amazing. i haven't tried it myself but i guess i will need to get some cooking done wiht it soon
    loads of care
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. now that sure is the perfect fall meal :) I love when the tofu gets all crisp like that on the pan!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't know that butternut squash could be cooked on the stove! I thought it was too "hearty" and more suited for the oven. I love this! I want to make it. The peanuts are a nice touch. I think it's a lovely tribute to Fall :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can always count on you to combine different ingredients to make a dish that makes me wanna drool!! YUM butternut squash...oh god, that reminds me that they're finally back in season!!! :)

    I love marinating my tofu too. I do the BBQ sauce and then fire it on a grill. Maybe i'll try browning it in a skillet next time...yours just looks so tantalizing. heheheh

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful stir fry girl!

    I kicked off the season with some crockpot buffalo chicken. Crockpot cooking makes me think of colder months, even tho I use it all year long, lol.

    ReplyDelete