Friday, September 11, 2009

Dung Duty

It has been a rough Friday in my world. Well, it started out that way at least.


I didn't have to go to the office today because I had volunteered for the United Way Day of Caring. Where I work, we are required to participate in several community based events such as fundraisers, charity walks, volunteer work...etc. I really like participating in these things and feel that it provides a great feel good aspect to my job.


Anyways, back to today, I signed up for a volunteering event. We weren't given our actual assignment until yesterday and when I found out I would be going to a farm doing various clean-up, painting, weeding, repairing...etc. I thought it sounded like it would be a great opportunity to serve.


Well, unfortunately, it wasn't the best forecast for farm chores. Today, it poured cats and dogs!!! Torrential downpours. My whole day of farm chores turned into hours of shoveling horse paddock in the pouring down rain. I was soaked, chilled to the bone, smelly and sore. As I was hulling crap across the muddy fields, I realize, this probably isn't something I should be doing 2 days before my 1/2 marathon. I could just feel myself getting sick!!!


Now, I'm not one to complain about charity work, but this stunk! I was miserable but reminded myself that this is just another challenge that I was totally capable of accomplishing. If I can run 13 miles on Sunday, I can shovel some horse poo for a few hours, right?


Well, luckily, the day was cut short in prevention of anyone catching a severe case of pneumonia.


I came home, showered and desperately tried to warm up.


Thankfully, the night was not so rough. It was actually quite enjoyable in fact!


My sister and I had a good ol' fashion girls night. We haven't had one of these in ages and knew it was high time for some yummy food, a chic flick, and of course chocolate.


To begin the festivities, we started with food...


I made a killer pizza, with customized toppings of course.

Mine was chock full of roasted veggies and my sis had broccoli, apple chicken sausage and bacon.



Mozzarella on Brooke's side, goat cheese on mine....



And salad....


Romaine, cucumber, radish, avocado, mandrin oranges, cranberries and honey roasted almonds





This pizza was classic. So delicious and especially with the addition of my favorite additions once out of the oven....Hummus, pesto and fresh basil.



Sammy joined our girls night even though he doesn't exactly qualify for the gender category, but we allowed it.



We enjoyed pizza while watching "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants." I've never seen this one, it's totally adorable!


Mid-way through the movie, we took a pause break for some much needed dessert.


Brooke was going to make a dessert, but she had a minor kitchen malfunction, therefore I raided my cabinets for any emergency supply.


You all know that I DO NOT BAKE so my stash is extremely limited.


But low and behold, in the back of my pantry, I found these.....



Turtle Brownies.....


Since Brooke was here (and she can bake very well) I thought it would be safe to give these a go.

Ok, ya'll. You are witnessing something that is very rare.....


Seemed pretty easy......



But because I am fully convinced that the baking gods are entirely against me, I asked Brooke to fill in.


Best part of baking....(in my humble opinion)


25 min later, our fudgey, undercooked brownies were ready. Honestly, I'm not a cake or brownie girl (more of an ice cream lover); however, the only way I really enjoy to eat a brownie or a cookie is right out of the oven and only if it's gooey and undercooked. Who doesn't like to eat them this way???
But to me, eating just a brownie is pretty dull. If we are going to do this people, it's going to be done right....

Brownie sundaes. Warm fudgey Carmel brownies, banana soft serve and strawberries.
Ah-ma-zing!!!

A little eye rollage occurred after first bite...not gonna lie.
Oh it was a great night. I love my older sis to pieces and it's always so wonderful spending time with her. Just like old times. We were so close growing up and as we get older, it becomes harder to spend more and more time together. So we've decided to try and make these sister parties a monthly occurrence.




Love you Brooke! Thanks for a great Friday night.
Well, it's waaayyyyy past my bedtime. No long run for me tomorrow morning. So weird that I can actually sleep in on a Saturday. Rest rest rest is what is on my agenda tomorrow in preparation for the big day!
Okay loves, night! :)
Ps- We totally wore out Sammy. Maybe he'll rethink crashing our girls night next time. ;)

11 comments:

  1. oh dear...that does sound NASTY! I hate being caught in the rain..glad you made it home in one piece and enjoy a great meal with great company!

    ReplyDelete
  2. at least you had a sweet ending to your "crappy" day :P i agree, love to lick the spoon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow pizza and brownie sundaes? What a delicious night! There is nothing better than hanging out with the big sis--I think I'm overdue for a ladies night of my own :) I always love your sweet little comments on my blog. They make my day! Have a great weekend xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no :( So sorry about the weather!! But hooray for delish brownies to end the evening with right?? :)

    Aww, Sammy!! What a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man the poop scooping sounds absolutely miserable! Thank goodness you got done early before catching something bad! You and your sis are so cute. ...can't wait to see her every month on here :) REST UP FOR TOMORROW!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks like you had a fun night! I love caramel with brownies. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I strongly agree that the best part of baking is the batter!

    My favorite batter of all time? Banana bread! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love gooey brownies. gooey anything sweet, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love farm work, but that sounds rough! Rest up and good luck on your half. Your blog is a lot of fun; I am glad I found it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The upside is that when someone asked you what you did all day you could say, "horsesh*&" and be totally serious. :D However I do not envy you having to shovel that in the rain for hours. :/ Yuck!

    The pizza and salad look amazing! And brownie sundaes are a must for girls night! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! is all I can say. That dessert looked amazing. I love my brownies gooey and undercooked too and I always top it off with fruit :) yall looked like you had a great night!

    Was that purchased pizza crust?

    ReplyDelete