Sunday, September 27, 2009

And So it Has Spread...

Good News....

I'm feeling much better, aside from the annoying nasal/allergy/sinus junk, but that is totally manageable compared to what I had a few days ago.

But, not so fast....

It seems that my unfortunate bug was pretty contagious.....

Poor Toly! He caught the flu blues too! Considering we were swapping germs right and left, it was bond to happen. And I'm guessing the fact that he spent 10 hours in the down pouring rain at the PSU game last night didn't help the cause.

It's okay, Dr. Sammy is on top of things (literally)....

Well, aside from our miserable flu infested and rainy weekend, I did manage to put together some lovely meals. Because something has to make us smile, right?

This little sunshine made me smile this morning....

What else makes me smile on a rainy Sunday morning you ask?

Well, that would be french toast of course....

But not just any old french toast. No no no, my friends...

How about Apple Cinnamon French Toast with Spiced Pear and Cranberry Syrup?


The pears were sauteed in a little cinnamon and brown sugar until soft and syrupy.

The toast was made using Apple Cinnamon Swirl Bread, dipped in egg whites, vanilla soy milk, cinnamon, vanilla and flax. Cooked about 5 min on each side and then topped with the pears (that I also added cranberries too on a whim...great idea!) and a drizzle of cran/apple chutney and mighty maple PB.

Breakfast made us smile!

Afterwards, we needed to run to BJ's for some much needed bulk stocking. Oh, BJ's always makes me smile (probably because of the free samples).

Then, it was more smiling when my sister called me and asked if I wanted to hang out. Sister time of course makes me smile!

We had a quick but delicious lunch together....

Organic Chicken Sausages with some fruit and veggies...

And then went to the mall where we did a little shopping....

And got hit on in the parking lot. Which actually made us rather irked because these guys were real creepos!

Back at home, Toly was still feeling rather awful and in quite a familiar state that I was in on Friday. (Poor Toly!)

He slept, and I cleaned and cooked..... (sounds so 50's style marriage)

So another thing that makes me not only smile, but GRIN from ear to ear...

Pizza!

Tonight, this pizza creation was heavenly.....

The base is Whole Wheat Naan, spread with white bean basil hummus and pesto topped with spinach, sauteed balsamic porto shrooms and roasted red onion, yellow tomatoes, and fresh basil. Lastly, a sprinkle of goat cheese made this perfect!

Also, a beautiful salad that almost stole the show for looks....

Romaine, Red Cabbage, Cucumber, Avocado, Strawberries, Kiwi and honey almonds....


Dinner was served to one happy (and smiling) girl.

But my friends, it didn't end here....

I know, you are thinking, how could it possibly get better....

But then, there was this......


Yep, that would be some pumpkin bread pudding that I made last night, topped with vanilla fro-yo, blackberries and pumpkin butter.
My smile went to a complete state of utopia after this.
Ah, what a perfect way to end a less than perfect weekend. I fully believe that the road to recovery from a sickness begins with the tummy, so bring on the wonderful comfort foods.
Well, I hope everyone is WELL and feeling great these days. Watch out for this flu thing, because I hear it's going around.
Here is to a great week everyone!

8 comments:

  1. Scrrrrumptious eats!! Definitely a highlight; but boo to others being ill now :( Hang in there in the household!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear you got sicky and that now the man is sicky too! Its almost impossible not to spead bugs between couples! You are such a good wifey for taking care of him. Bummer that PSU lost the game :( We were sneaking out of the wedding trying to watch the game in the hotel gym haha. Your french toast looks way too good for words

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, I hope Dr. Sammy does his job and all the germs are out of your house asap! :)

    By the way - I absolutely love all the beautiful fruit that is always on your blog. It's just so pretty and refreshing - plus it makes me crave fruit all the time lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! So sorry to hear of the illness in the Podolsky household! Hope everyone will be feeling 100% very soon!

    Now, I must comment on your food. I was very excited by the French Toast at breakfast - yum! Lunch looked pretty good too, but dinner was even better - wow, what a pizza, and that fruit salad was gorgeous! But I have to agree, that the crowning achievement of the day was the Pumpkin Bread Pudding!! I LOOOOOVE bread pudding, and I LOOOOOVE pumpkin, so putting them together is just about the best thing on earth!! YUMMMMMMM!!! Thanks for sharing the pictures - although I would much rather that you share the actual food! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry that your husband got the bug too, hope he feels better soon. What a day of delicious eats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh no! hope the household is all healthy again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry Toly is sick, BUT...
    I think it's fun when my marriage resembles something out of the 1950's too! :-) As long as that whole separate beds thing never enters the picture, that is! hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy moly! That is a perfect way to end the weekend - YUM!!

    I hope everyone is feeling better by now! Getting the flu is quite possibly my worst nightmare. I hope you have a wonderful Monday :)

    ReplyDelete