Thursday, June 25, 2009

Could This Get Worse? Oh Yes, Yes It Can!

Guess what guys!?!?! The worst thing in the world happened……

I HAVE DRY SOCKETS!!!!!

Okay, I knew something wasn’t right. The swelling and pain have just not been going away and it’s been a full week. Yesterday, I was in so much pain. My head was throbbing and I had shooting pain going up my face. I woke up this morning with the pain even worse.

I web-md’d the symptoms for dry sockets and discovered that I was having every single one. So I called the doctor and made an appointment as soon as I could.

The nurse took one look and said, “oh yep, you have them all right.” Oh and the weird hard lump on my left side is a blood pocket. Eww, gross!

Well, fortunately, as soon she medicated me with the gauze things, I had IMMEDIATE relief. Now, I just have to go back every day for a few days to have my gauze pads changed and my sockets flushed out. (Yes, I know, it’s so attractive!)

Lesson learned: DO NOT WAIT TO HAVE YOUR WISDOM TEETH OUT. They have been telling me for years that I need them out. All 4 have been impacted since I was in 8th grade, but I kept putting them off. The longer you wait, the worse it is, trust me! The doctor said I had everything working against me as far as preventing the dry sockets.
I’m over 20, I had to stop taking the antibiotics because of my allergic reaction, and I was taking the highest hormone level of birth control the week of my surgery.

Ughhh, oh well. At least they are entirely treatable and I’m no longer in pain. Now I just have to get this lump off the side of my face and I should be back to normal in no time. What a mess! L

Thankfully, since the gauze is covering my open wounds, eating is 1000x easier and less painful.

Lunch was so beautiful, that I had to take a picture of it.

I made a summer salad! Spinach, strawberries, grapefruit, blueberries, walnuts, and cucumber.

I also had the rest of my frittata from last night’s dinner.

T’was such a great lunch!

It was such a hot and summery day and since I haven’t grilled in over a week, it was time for a BBQ meal.

I made Grilled Pitas (Veggie for me, Chicken for Toly)


In my pita there was-
Grilled Veggies (zucchini, yellow squash, porto mushrooms, bell pepper)
Spinach
Lemon/Basil Hummus
Goat Cheese



In Toly’s Pita-

Grilled Chicken
Tomato/Feta
Bacon



On the side, grilled corn and watermelon. What a perfect meal to eat outside in the warmth!

Well, thankfully, I should be getting a good night’s rest.

Has anyone ever had dry sockets? They are AWFUL!! But, as soon as you treat them, it’s instantly better.

Hope you all had a great day and are looking forward FRIDAY!!

10 comments:

  1. Oh hon, I was worried that might be the case since you were suffering so.

    At least you've got medical help for the pain now!

    You poor thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dry sockets are the worst! I'm sorry you have to go through that :( Spitting out the.. er... "stuff" is so gross!

    When it's all over it'll be such a relief I'm sure. A new found appreciation for cheeks and solid foods? :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH NO - what a bummer!!! I had dry sockets too - SO awful :( Itleast you know it'll get better with each passing day though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man,your poor mouth is a mess, no wonder you've been so miserable! I'm hoping that now you can finally be on the mend and put this behind you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting! Your site is so cute, glad I found it! I waited until my early twenties to have my wisdom teeth pulled and also got dry socket! Ugh! The pain, I can relate to that. It should only last a few more days, especially since you are medicated now. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey what do you put in your green monsters? Yours look so dark and interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no, dry sockets!!Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor thing! I had those too, they suck majorly! :(

    Hang in there, Lauren! It will get better soon- promise!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ouch, that sounds terrible...I'm so sorry!
    now I'm scared...I don't have insurance, so I haven't seen a dentist for more than 7 years...oops.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That lemon berry cake was so ridiculously good! I just devoured it for dessert and I'm wanting more! Maybe we'll have to go back so you can try some too! Thanks again for a great night!

    ReplyDelete