Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Dreams of Travel and Grilled Cheese Tonight

Going back to work after a 3 day weekend is never a pleasurable experience, especially when it’s cool and rainy. Oh well, I guess I shouldn’t complain because we did have such a wonderful weekend and short weeks rock!

So, as some of you may know, Toly and I had a bit of an “unexpected” honeymoon experience last year when our 9 day Cruise to the Caribbean turned into an all “at-sea” excursion with a few stops in North East, including Newport RI, and Manhattan. (Lesson learned-don’t book a cruise during prime hurricane season!) Regardless, we still had a great time; however, we want to plan another “honeymoon” in the near future, especially while we still have the time and means to do so. We have been looking at a few different options, mostly at all-inclusive resorts, but the more I think about it, the more I am turned away from the idea of another tropical escape. My true dream would be to travel across the world to someplace incredible and for me, this means Italy .

Casually, I brought this notion to Toly, just to see what kind of reaction I could conjure, and surprisingly, he didn’t turn it down. He agreed that we could take a look at some options and talk with a travel agent. Obviously, NOTHING has been decided and we aren’t thinking of taking this trip until next spring, but even the mere thought of spending a vacation in Italy makes me elated. We have adventurous souls and love to experience new cultures, so traveling to another country and partaking in their civilization is ideal for us to spend our 2nd honeymoon.

Have any of you ever been to Italy or any other amazing places out of the country? Any suggestions, ideas, tips? We really have no idea at this point, so any help from anyone would be so wonderful!!

But on to the here and now, dinner this evening. I don’t know about you all, but the weather seems to completely affect my appetite and cravings for certain foods. When it’s damp and raw, I crave warm comfort meals, like grilled cheese and tomato soup. So, I listen to my body and make just what I feel and Toly always happily complies.

I also feel that if you are going to make a classic like grilled cheese, you shouldn’t compromise. Seriously, how boring is white bread and American cheese? Let’s make this quintessential sandwich a little more “adult” shall we?


Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup

2 slices of Panera’s Tomato Basil Bread (or another worthy bread of choice)
Smear of goat cheese (I used TJ’s goat cheese with fresh herbs)
Smear of hummus (I used TJ’s White bean with basil)
Big Slice of a juicy tomato
Sliced Avocado
A few leaves of fresh basil
Drizzle of balsamic


Assemble and Grill (I use my Foreman as my Panini press). Oozy, gooey, deliciousness and so incredibly fresh!


Toly’s grilled cheese was a bit more traditional. He had melted provolone, bacon and tomato on the good Panera bread.

I can’t imagine eating a grilled cheese without the classic pairing of Tomato soup, so I also heated up a can of Amy’s Organic Chunky Tomato soup. (Best tomato soup ever!!!)

There was also corn for Toly and steamed broccoli for me to complete the plate.

Now I am getting ready to turn on the John and Kate Plus 8 season premier that I missed last night. I use to watch the show casually (Toly always hated it) but now with all the crazy hype, I am dying to see what the new season will be like. Ugh, once again, I get sucked in to mindless celebrity smut, but hey, it’s cultural right?!?! :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, your grilled cheese looks quite gourmet and delicious!

    Italy is amazing - I went there for a "vision trip" (think a college spring break mission trip to the college campus at the University of Salerno to talk to students about Chris). In addition to Salerno we also got to stop in Rome and Florence (well, we flew into Naples but I thought Napoli was rather trashy). Anyway, LOVE Italy, it is so amazing and quite an experience if you're able to travel there!

    I gotta admit I'm a bit jealous though - we were planning on going on a cruise this summer for a re-do shot at a honeymoon as well, but I don't think we're going to be able to anymore. Oh well, we have each other and that's the most important!

    Dang this is a huge long comment, so sorry! haha maybe I should start emailing back and forth with ya instead of writing pages. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    We have just added your latest post "Dreams of Travel and Grilled Cheese Tonight" to our Directory of Honeymoon Travels and Locations. You can check the inclusion of the post here . We are delighted to invite you to submit all your future posts to the directory for getting a huge base of visitors to your website and gaining a valuable backlink to your site.


    Warm Regards

    honeymun.com Team

    http://www.honeymun.com

    ReplyDelete