Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Out Like a Lamb

March is such a long month. It’s that indifferent period between winter and spring that really is too cold to get into Spring mode, but not cold enough to still consider itself a winter wonder. There are no Holidays or celebrations to look forward to and the month itself just sounds dull. It’s just 31 days of wavering conditions and long work weeks. Ugh, thank goodness it’s over!

I can’t believe tomorrow is April 1st. I’ve mentioned before that April is an intense month for us, mainly because of the massive amount of Birthday’s we celebrate. (Mine included) We also have our CA trip planned at the end of the month which I am so pumped for! Both Toly and I have never been, so if anyone has any ideas, suggestions or recommendations, we would greatly appreciate your advice. We will be staying in Anaheim for a few days and then in LA for a few more. Right now, we don’t have any set plans, other than a trip to Disney Land , so we are hoping to just find our way while we are out there. I’m sure we will find more than enough to keep us occupied! J

March definitely went out like a lamb with today’s temps in the mid 60’s. My mom called me last night and asked if I wanted to take a walk over my lunch break. She has off on Tuesdays and we like to try and meet on nice days to walk and catch up. It was good to spend some time chatting with her and enjoying the nice brisk spring day. I always feel so much better when I can step away from my desk for a little and get some fresh, well deserved air.

Today was a gym day for me and the hubby. We bailed last week, so I knew we would be feeling it. After work, we did about 30 min of weight lifting and then took Sammy for a pleasant walk around the neighborhood.

When we got home, I started on dinner since it was already getting a little late. I was inspired to try a new recipe tonight and now that I am thinking about it, I can’t really remember what inspired me to try this, but for some reason this idea came in my head last week and it stuck. I made Tortilla Crusted Tilapia with a mango salsa. I really didn’t have a recipe for this one and just made it up as I went along. (Sometimes those are the best!)
If I can remember, here is my rendition….

Tortilla Crusted Tilapia

2 Tilapia fillets
1 C of crushed Tortilla chips (I used Food Should Taste Good brand, in Sweet Potato….LOVE THESE!)
Salt, Pepper, oregano, cumin, chili powder
Flour
Egg whites

Stir together flour with all of the seasonings. Whisk egg whites until frothy. Dredge the fish in the flour, then dip in egg, and coat with crushed chips. Place on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 425* for about 15 min.


The fish turned out great! It was a little mix up from our usual versions of tilapia and I fully believe that the sweet potato chips is what gave the dish it’s flare. I’m sure you could use just about any tortilla chip (even potato chips) but the secret is definitely in the chip, so make sure it’s a good one!

My mango salsa is simple a mixture of

Diced mango
Black beans
Avocado
Red onion
Red pepper
Salt, pepper, cilantro
A little Pom juice and honey


Went excellent with the Tilapia!

Tomorrow I have a work event, so Toly will be on his own for dinner. Good thing there is leftovers in the fridge or else I would have foreseen a McDonald’s trip in his future. ;)


1 comment:

  1. Blog twin! Love it :)

    The sweet potato Food Should Taste Good chips are amazing, and I like your idea to use them as a fish coating. I'll have to try that!

    ReplyDelete