Friday, March 20, 2009

Mish Mosh of Goodness

Work flew by today, which is perfectly fine by me , especially since today was Friday. I was busy busy busy all day and before I knew it, it was time to call it a weekend.

Came home and did some Shred with Jillian Michaels and then started on a dinner. Fridays I usually try and use up everything in the fridge to get ready for the next shopping trip so my meals tend to be a mish mosh of all kinds of leftover ingredients. For example, lunch was a BIG old salad with just about anything imaginable. (Tofu, sprouts, cucumber, sweet potatoes and squash-from last night, pineapple, chic peas, broccoli, hummus....I think I covered it all) I love these kinds of salads, it's combines so many foods and flavors into one delectable dish.

And then dinner was another mixture of random ingredients that turned out excellent! I made Pumpkin Turkey Burgers with Pears and Cranberries. These burgers contained ground turkey breast, pumpkin (applesauce in Toly's), diced pear, cranberries, salt, pepper, pumpkin pie spice, and a drizzle of maple syrup.
I browned these in a skillet for a few mintues on one side, flipped and threw the pan in the oven to finish cooking. SOOOO good, juicy, sweet and full of flavor.
I made the same spread of pumpkin butter and diojon and smothered this on top of my burger; Toly's had cheese of course.
Along side, we had butternut squash fries and a little slaw that I threw together. Again, a mixture of all sorts of random ingredients.
It amazes me how often these recipes turn out to be some of the best. Just throw ingredients into a bowl and mix until you reach your desired liking. Man, I love cooking and this whole science probably explains why I am incapable of baking. (I really think I am incapable of following a recipe to its entirety).
Oh well, I will stick to the art of cooking and leave the baking to the experts. I do scoop up a nice dish of ice cream....speaking of, it's Friday night, which means ice cream is calling my name.

Hope you all had a lovely week and have great things planned for the weekend.
Good night!

(Close up of my burger)

(My Plate)


(His Plate)

1 comment:

  1. I think more times than not the mish-mosh-using-up-what's-left-in-your-fridge days taste better than any other day! : ) Those burgers so oh so tasty!!! HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!!!

    ReplyDelete