Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Dinner Guests

Happy Hump Day! We had a nice mild Wednesday which actually surprised me. I thought it was going to be gloomy and chilly but the sun came out and it reached the 60's! Beautiful-I love it when the sun comes out unexpectedly.

This morning I created yet another glorious bowl of cereal and again, I couldn't resist to illustrate. This morning was 1/4 c Kashi Heart-to-Heart, 1/4 c All Bran, 1/2 C Bran Flakes with peaches, blackberries, blueberries and vanilla soy. I also sliced up some more strawberries and a juicy kiwi with a big spoonful of cottage cheese. It was almost too pretty to eat, but who are we kidding, I devoured every bite! Soooo good!


My parents joined us for dinner tonight. They are leaving for an 8 day cruise tomorrow and wanted to spend time with us before the left. (To tell you the truth, I think they really wanted to see Sammy more, but it was still very nice to spend time with them)

I made quite a tasty meal that looked and tasted gourmet but was actually very easy. I even managed to use this week's superfood in a new and interesting way. I made an Almond and Coconut encrusted Tilapia topped with a homemade Blueberry Salsa.
For the fish, I ground up almonds, coconut, panko, salt and pepper and parsley in the food processor and then dipped the fish in an egg wash and coated in the almond mixture. I baked this for 15 min at 425* until fish was done and crust was golden brown.

And for the salsa, I mixed 1/2 c frozen blueberries, 1/2 c fresh blueberries, 1/2 pink grapefruit (diced), red onion, honey, lime juice and salt and pepper. The salsa got thick and syrupy after it sat for a while and was a perfect compliment for the sweet and nutty fish.
I served the fish with roasted potatoes (red and sweet) and peas and my mom brought a salad. It was a wonderful and filling meal and such a great evening with my parents.

I must say, I am a little jealous that they are leaving for a cruise to the Panama tomorrow, but I know they will have a fantastic time and they have already promised me a bottle of some authentic Mexican Vanilla Extract. This stuff puts our imitation version to shame.


(Blueberry Salsa)

(The gorgeous dinner)

(My lovely parents)

This week is moving right along; only 1 more day until Friday! We have some fun things planned this weekend so I am already counting down.

Hope you are enjoying your week!

2 comments:

  1. Loved this post : )

    Your breakfast and your dinner look VERY delicious!!! (I'm impressed!;) I think I'm going to have to try this fish recipe, thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren, that tilapia recipe sounds out-of-this world awesome! I'm definitely going to bookmark it to make in the future.

    Your breakfast also looks great - gotta love a bunch of fresh fruit :)

    ReplyDelete