Sunday, February 15, 2009

Superfood Sunday



I've said before that there would be more features to come with the blog, so here is yet another! It's called Superfood Sunday and here is how it works. Every Sunday (the day I usually do the grocery shopping for the week) I will choose one superfood, a new food, an organic food, or some kind of item that I normally wouldn't put on the weekly list and highlight it in my meals throughout the week. I will try to use it a few different times and also write on the food item itself and why it is considered a "superfood."
So to start this off, the superfood of the week is......
POMEGRANATE Juice!


This juice has quickly become one of the most talked about items in the health field. Preliminary evidence suggests that drinking concentrated pomegranate juice may reduce cholesterol. Israeli researchers, published a small clinical study in June 2004 in Clinical Nutrition, suggested that drinking a glass of pomegranate juice a day for one year reduced blood pressure (particularly systolic pressure) and slowed down LDL cholesterol (the bad cholesterol) oxidation.
Pomegranate fruits contain polyphenols, tannins and anthocyanins - all are beneficial antioxidants. Interestingly, pomegranate juice contains high levels of antioxidants - higher than most other fruit juices, red wine or green tea.

So be on the look out for this week's secret ingredient. If anyone has any good ideas on recipes or other ways to use it, please let me know. I'm open for any ideas.


0 comments:

Post a Comment