Monday, August 22, 2011

First Day Back


Today was my first official day back to reality. 

When I planned this week, I knew there was no way in hell I would be able to go back to work in a functioning manner so calling off was practically the best decision I have ever made. 

I slept an entire nights rest, something that had not occurred in far too long. 

When I did roll out of bed it was already 7:30am so breakfast was decided on before the workout. 


Rudi's Organic WW English Muffin, Sunflower Nut Butter, Mashed Banana and an Orange


 I have been obsessed with Sunflower Nut Butter for weeks now and it has quickly become my new nut butter of choice; however, my obsession became an infatuation when I discovered this….


Sunflower Nut Butter + Honey + Sea Salt = a fabulous take on Dulce De Leche. 

It's mind blowing. 

Shopping was a task today.  We had zero food in the house so I knew I had to be strategic about it. 

I received some questions on how much I spend on groceries for the week and although it varies, I try to never let it go above $150.  I know that sounds like a lot, but lets break it down. 

I planned out some meals for the week, browsed the circulars, cut coupons and set out. My damage wasn't as bad as I thought…$140 with $24 saved in coupons. We should be set for the entire week with all breakfasts, lunch, and dinners so that comes out to a little over $3 a meal per person.  See, it's not bad when you break it down. 

Lunch included a random craving, sweet potato.  I can't remember the last time I had made myself a sweet potato and they looked so good as I passed them in the store. 

I wasn't sure how I wanted to eat the potato until this came to me…..

Sweet Potato, Honey, Almond Butter, Granola 

Guess breakfast really stuck with me today.

 I also threw together a strawberry/peach smoothie and enjoyed it in my new lovely mug from my lovely friend, Janetha.


It made me miss her all over again! :)

After working on blog issues, checking emails, cleaning the house, and organizing my life again, I felt even more exhausted than before, but productively accomplished.

I wasn't sure how I would be able to cook again after a week of incredible eating in CA and Philly, but I didn't do too bad.

I grilled Cod that I had marinated in a strawberry balsamic sauce.  I also created a strawberry, basil, feta, orzo salad along with grilled asparagus.



Not quite Napa quality, but it worked.


Work is waiting tomorrow.  I feel like I am going to be chained to my desk all day tomorrow so I'm enjoyed these last few moments of peace. 

Do you have any shopping tips to bring down the weekly bill? - I swear by coupons.  One of my points I made in the presentation last weekend was that coupon cutting can work to your advantage.  Most places will take them, even if you don't buy the allotted amount.  Just find the nice looking cashier and be sure to be polite and ask how her/his day is going.  Works every time! ;) 

Photobucket