Monday, August 29, 2011

The Downside in Doing What You Love


I realized something today. 

I currently have 3 jobs! 

I have my full time job which usually has me working 50+ hours a week.  I have my blog, which takes up around 15+ hours a week.  And I have my gym job where I teach about 2+ hours a week but spend another 3-5 hours practicing.  

There are 168 hours in a week.  I am working almost half of them.  

Now please let me preface, I am in now way complaining.  I absolutely love what I do and feel I have the best job in the world.  I absolutely love blogging and can't imagine my life without it.  And I absolutely love teaching and helping others reach levels of fitness they never dreamed they could.  So definitely not complaining, more just taking note that although I'm 100% happy with my life and all that I do with it, I can see why I get overwhelmed so often.  

Today, Beth posted about being an "all or nothing" person and I feel I fall into that category as well.  When I go for something, I put my whole heart into it and if I don't feel like I am giving it everything, I start to stress, worry, and feel an overwhelming sense of guilt.  

Breakfast 

1/4 C Natures Path Flax Plus w/Strawberries, 1/4 C Natures Path Multigrain Flakes, Strawberries, Banana, Blueberries, Granola, Sunflower Butter 



Lately, I haven't been feeling the guilt when it comes to my work, but I've been feeling it when it comes to the neglect it has caused me to show towards my family and friends.

I know they support me and I know they would never make me feel this way, but it's more of my own blame.

Lunch 
Leftover salmon over greens with zucchini, red pepper, peach, almonds, goat cheese

 Drizzled with Raspberry Balsamic 




I feel I'm rather good at balancing my life, but sometimes the plates get too heavy on one side.  Before I add on another plate to my "career" hand, I need to stop and think about what I would be giving up on the other.  

I am pretty darn blessed and I don't take any of that for granted.  At least I try not to.  As much as I love what I do, I don't want that to be the only thing that defines who I am.  I am also a daughter, a sister, a wife, an aunt, a friend…..these roles are just as important if not more.  

Just wanted to get that off my chest. 


Dinner 


Smoky Refried Bean Soup



Ingredients

  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 3 – 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes (I used fire-roasted)
  • 15 ounces fatfree refried beans
  • 15 ounces black beans, cooked
  • 1 cup frozen corn kernels (I used fresh) 
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1/8 – 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder (to taste)
  • 1 teaspoon hot sauce (or to taste)
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Instructions

  1. Spray a large, non-stick pot with cooking spray, and sauté the onion until it begins to brown. Add the garlic and bell pepper and cook for one more minute. Add all the remaining ingredients and cook until the flavors blend, 20-30 minutes.
  2. Serving suggestion: Garnish with fresh tomato, sour cream and avocado. 



This is one of my favorite soup recipes.  It reminds me of tacos in a bowl.



In other news: 

I was just contacted by a reader who is a yoga certified teacher and currently organizing a wonderful retreat in Sri Lanka, India in December. 



Alexia and her friend will be teaching Vinyasa Flow and some restorative classes, meditation and also have the opportunity to learn about Ayurveda, get massages and enjoy the freshly prepared Sri Lankan vegetarian cuisine. 

She is looking to bring 2 people with her for a very low rate.  The cost of this 8 day retreat is about $1,070 (US) but Alexia is going to bring 2 people for only $700.  (includes accommodations, meals, pick up from airport, meditation and yoga, and a surprise excursion) 

Ummmm, can you say AMAZING!!!  That is what I said.  If anyone is interested, please email me so that I can contact Alexia.  You can find out more information here….http://namasteyogaretreats.weebly.com/


Namaste! 

Have you ever felt like your job or social life was interfering with your family?  How do you balance out your career with your personal life? I try to never assume that they are 100% okay with me ignoring them.  My family is amazing and would never make me feel that way, but sometimes I take their silent support for granted. 

Photobucket