Monday, August 30, 2010

500 Days of Summer


Well, here we are.  The start to another week and at the very last days of August.  I know people say that summer technically goes into to September, but for me, starting on September 1st, it's fall. 

I like fall, I do.  I like pumpkins, I like apples, I like the very slight chill in the air that just makes it feel crisp and clean. But I can't deny admitting that I always have a hard time letting summer go.  

I'll try to hold on as long as I can, but once that first can on pumpkin opens, there is no turning back. 

My Last Days of Summer Peach/Strawberry Overnight Oats

Last Night: 
~1/4 Cup Multigrain Cereal (oats, barley, millet) 
~1/4 Cup Strawberry Chobani
~ 1 tsp Chia and Wheat Germ

Today: 
~1/2 Peach
Strawberries
Honey Almond Granola 
~1tsp Cherry Vanilla Almond Butter

I wonder when the Iced Coffee will stop.  Right now, I can't imagine my mornings without it, but I guess I won't be wanting an iced cold drink in the depths of winter. 



I had a productive day in the office and spent most of the morning prepping for the upcoming crazy month of September. 

Once lunch came around, I was more than ready. 

When I was at my parent's yesterday, my mom gave me a gift that they brought back from Yellowstone. 

Wild Huckleberry Vinaigrette. 

All I could think of was making a big summer salad with the vinaigrette. 

Summer Salad: Greens, Cucumber, 1/2 Diced Peach, Raspberries, Avocado, Walnuts, Feta, Huckleberry Vinaigrette 

The dressing was amazing!  A little sweet, so I added a dash of white balsamic with gave it the perfect balance.  

With my salad, I made some sweet potato fries. 

Small Sweet Potato with Coconut Oil, Salt, Pepper, Cinnamon, Chili Powder

Salad and Fries, one of my favorite lunches.  I was definitely thinking of this girl because I know it's one of her favorites too! 

After lunch, I went straight back to work and didn't stop until it was time to come home. 

On the way home, I contemplated going to the gym, but it was just too gorgeous outside to be wasting these last days of summer cooped up on machines.  There will be plenty of time this fall and winter for that. 

I decided to rev up Sammy for a nice long walk.  


We walked to Jen's house to drop off a gift that Toly and I got for Connor.  He recently learned how to use the potty and did such a fantastic job.  Jen and Brian have also been going through some rough times with their one year old, Emily that has been trying on the whole family.  Connor has been such a good sport throughout it all and an amazing big brother, so we wanted to let him know that we were so proud of him. 

The walk to Jen's is exactly 1.4 miles.  When we got there, no one was home, so we left the present in the door. 



We turned around and make the trip back home. 

All together, it was a lovely walk.  Just under one hour and 3 miles. 


I finally started to make dinner around 6:30pm and realized how hungry I had become.  

For the longest time, I've been meaning to make a Quinoa dish with this box that I purchased a few months ago at Trader Joes. 


I came up with a fantastic dish that included roasted butternut squash and zucchini, steamed kale, yellow pepper, beets and baked tofu all dressed in a maple balsamic dressing and topped with a touch of goat cheese. 




Wonderful Wonderful Wonderful! Usually when I just use healthy delicious ingredients, it always comes together so nicely.  Quinoa is one of those ingredients that is like a blank canvas, so many options and outlets for a fantastic dish. This was a great use for the Quinoa and I can't wait to come up with more. 

Well it looks like I will be able to enjoy the summer days for at least another week.  A heat wave is expected here in PA for the next 5 days.  I'd be lying if I said I was upset about it. ;) 

Are you excited for fall?  What are you most looking forward to? I can't wait for all of the wonderful in season fall foods like squash, pumpkin, and apples.  I also can't WAIT for football season!!!!  







Photobucket

9 comments:

  1. I'm overly excited about fall!! I've already started eating pumpkin inspired dishes! And bring on the football! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish Fall was here now! It is so hot it seems months away. I'm looking forward to cooler nights, cups of tea and pumpkin bread!

    ReplyDelete
  3. each one of your meals deserves a yummy comment! i cant get over just how delicious your strawberries, granola, and yogurt look all wrapped up together! and a big salad with a side of sweet taters and grapes- you know made me happy :)
    last but not least an AMAZING tofu and quinoa dinner, the tofu is perfectly cooked- id give anything to get my hands on that!

    btw gorgeous, congrats on winning Katharina's giveaway!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm like you- fall is okay, but i LOVE summer!! My favorite part of fall is the running weather. It's so awesome to run in the crisp, cool air!! Hope you have a great Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM! wild huckleberry vinaigrette! that is such a thoughtful gift :) i love summer walks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you snack during the day or are you a 3 meals/day kind of a girl?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything looks so yummy. How do you go about roasting squash?

    Dog walks can be rather relaxing while being a good workout. I have two Chihuahuas that I walk every night.

    Summer is my favorite season, but fall is a close second. Though it does come too soon and goes by too fast. My favorite thing about it is that it's the time of year I met my husband so it always makes me have those "first" feelings - the first time we went out, kissed, went to a football game, danced, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally cannot wait for fall! I want cooler weather, flannel jammies, and pumpkin pumpkin pumpkin! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. huckleberry vinaigrette?! wow. yummmmmy. your tofu looks so good, how long and what temp do you bake it at?

    love you!

    ReplyDelete