Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Three's a Crowd

Best feeling in the world….

Waking up in the middle of the night to pee and realizing that you still have hours left of sleep.

Worst feeling in the world….

Waking up in the middle of the night to pee and realizing that you have 15 min before your alarm is set to go off.

So naturally, the later of these two occurred last night.
Don’t you just absolutely hate when that happens? It’s so not worth it to go back to bed but yet the extra 10 min of awake time seems dreadful.

Anyways, I digressed and proceeded for my morning run, wide awake and ready to go.

Today was much like yesterday, busy and productive all morning. I made it a point to leave my desk for lunch and drive home for the essential reason of getting a head start on tonight’s dinner.

Last night, I prepped everything for White Turkey Chili and put it all into the Crockpot bowl for the fridge. At lunch, all I had to do was run home and pop the bowl on the crock and turn it on. Easy as 1-2-3 and dinner will be waiting once we are home.

Here is dinner pre-cooked....

But since I was home for lunch, I heated up a quick favorite of mine. I know I’ve mentioned it before, but I adore these.

Amy’s products are probably one of the few “packaged” foods that I will eat. They never disappoint me and are perfect for a nutritious, filling, quick and tasty lunch. I need to try more varieties but I can’t stray away from the Spinach Pockets….they are just soooo yummy!

Especially when dipped in marina sauce. And on the side, there was crudités (carrots, broccoli, and snap peas) with spicy hummus and a bundle of sweet red grapes.

I just loved this well rounded lunch.

After work, Toly and I hopped over to the gym for an intended stregnth workout; however shortly after we began, we were faced with company. A group of people decided they wanted to work out tonight too. It is a public gym, but it's very very small and kind of uncomfortable when more than 2 people are in it. Trust me, 3 is a crowd in these situations.

In all honestly, in the 1 1/2 we've lived here, we hardly ever see another soul in this gym so we usually don't have this problem.

But regardless, Toly hates to work out when other people are using the gym at the same time. I understand, it really does break your concentration and stamina when you know that other people are anxiously waiting to use your machine.

Does anyone else feel this way when working out at the gym?

Ugh, anyways, we ended up leaving and decided to come back and do an intense 20 min ab workout instead and then took Sammy for a walk.

When we got back, dinner was practically on the table!

I needed to find a use for the leftover ground turkey breast and for some reason, chili came to mind. I know that I don’t eat meat often, however, I do eat certain poultry on rare occasion. I say “certain” because it is important to me to buy organic, naturally processed, grass fed animal products.

This package of ground turkey breast contained no artificial ingredients or antibiotics and was 100% organic! Way to go Wegmans! I really do admire Wegmans commitment to providing natural meat and fish products, which is why I support buying our meat there. The White Turkey chili is a standard recipe of mine. I actually don’t really follow a recipe, I just kind of throw together whatever I have.

Here is dinner after cooking for several hours in the crock....


The meat part is more for Toly and all of the veggies make their way into my bowl. So it’s more like a white veggie chili for me, and a turkey and bean chili for Toly. We are very good at adapting with two different eating styles.

For a quick and tasty addition, I threw together another batch of fresh bruschetta. The key into making bruschetta is fresh, homegrown tomatoes, I am convinced. I used my yellow baby tomatoes for this batch with fresh basil, garlic, and balsamic on toasted Cibatta.

I love having chili after it has been cooking all day. The flavors become so enhanced as it slowly cooks.


Well, one more day down and 3 left until our AWESOME weekend!

Can you tell I’m a little excited?

10 comments:

  1. I used a fairly small gym this summer as well as currently in my parent's condo and I TOTALLY understand how crowded it can be w/ just 1 additional person. I avoid lifting when others are there. It's something about sharing the dumbbells and mirror space...it's just unpleasantly awkward! It's so annoying when the gym is normally empty yet the time that YOU want to use it, someone else is there. Grrr. Oh well, at least you got in some ab work!

    I've never used a crock pot before. My mom used to use it when we were growing up. I've heard it's magical! Based on the looks of that chili, I think it is! I love your bowl, too!

    Tomorrow's hump day=halfway to your weekend! WAHOO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I do hate waking up having to pee and discovering my alarm is going off in less than an hour!!

    Love crock pot meals- so easy and always delicious and hearty! Looks like it turne dout perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right about the 'best' feeling in the world and the 'worst' feeling in the world. Actually, I have had the 'best' happen to me for the past few days now. I guess I'm pretty lucky ;) ?

    BTW, that chili looks great. I make my chili in the regular pot on the stove but the slow cooker looks so much easier.

    Congrats on your new domain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha the beginning of your post reminds me of this site:
    http://1000awesomethings.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ew ew ew - there is NOTHING worse than waking up right before your alarm clock is about to go off! You're right - best feeling is to wake up at 2am and realize you still have allll morning to sleep :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL I always wake up at like 2 am and think I missed my alarm and slept through a run! No kidding like every day!

    Ugh, I hate when ppl are rude like that at the gym. The worst is when they hover and ask if they can "work their way in". grrr. I know what you mean!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry about the crowded gym. It sounds like you got in a good workout yesterday anyway.

    I love your meals- so much flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That IS such a crappy feeling...I woke up the other day at 3:15 am (my alarm is set for 5) and I was thrilled! But today I woke up at 4:50...not so fun. :-P That chili looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate crowded gyms, but I love having someone next to me when I am running... I'm so competitive that I won't get off until other people get off. It pushes me to go longer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. lmao. I know what you mean about the peeing and realizing there's only 15 minutes left till the alarm clock rings. HATE it when that happens!

    I am really loving your crock pot meal! Sooo homey and comforting...I can't wait for the colder months so I can start chowing one big bowl of crock-pot chili!

    ReplyDelete