Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Big Purchases Aren't Always Fun

Well the Manic Monday is over and today was an entirely new day.

Thankfully, it was so much more ordered and productive than yesterday.

I don’t mind being busy, but it’s nice to have a break from the madness in order to get things back in order. I feel so much more together when I know that my to-do list is being accomplished. I hate putting things off, don’t you?

Toly and I also made a BIG purchase today!!!! Sadly, this purchase is not something entirely thrilling but is one of those necessary evils that was an utter must. We bought a brand new top of the line, energy efficient heating/cooling unit. We decided to go big with the energy efficient for a few reasons. One; it will lower our electric bills each month, two; we will get a tax rebate, and three; we got a really good deal on a top of the line system that wasn’t much more expensive than a lower end model.

So, hopefully this thing can be installed this weekend and we can put this whole thing behind us. Don’t you just hate making big purchases for indispensable things that you don’t expect or plan for? Ugh, home repairs and car repairs are the absolute worst!

And on another good note, my mouth is finally feeling so much better! I’m down to 2 Advil a day (which is a big chance from the 6-8 I was previously taking) so hopefully this means that I am finally on my way to a full recovery.

See, I knew this week would be better.

Okay, now on to the food…..

First of all, I must tell you that adding a TBL of flax to your cereal is astonishingly incredible! I’ve recently been doing this every morning and have noticed a HUGE difference in my energy and hunger levels throughout the entire morning. Since I run every morning, I usually consumer a larger breakfast to hold me over until lunch, but even with a larger breakfast I was noticing a drop in my energy level mid-morning because I have burned off my 7am bowl of cereal faster than normal. It was weird, because I felt full but kind of drug through the mornings.

Over the past couple of weeks, I have made a few changes in my breakfast selections (this is the most important meal of the day you know!) I have changed some of my standard cereals to ones that contain no HFCS and I have added flax. Wow, these small changes are considerable! I am extremely alert and energized all morning and feel great all the way up until lunch. I’m definitely full but not that uncomfortable kind of full, more like satisfied and entirely content. I had no idea how much HFCS really does deplete your sugar levels and makes you feel drained. They always say that you are more likely to feel exhausted after eating a sugar/salty snack (like chips, candy or sugary snacks) than from eating sugar in its natural forms (like in fruits and vegetables).

And as a disclaimer, I don’t believe there is any way to fully avoid unnatural additives such as HFCS; however, when I noticed that it was a main ingredient in all of my daily cereals, I wanted to be sure that I wasn’t consuming this every single morning knowingly! When I am eating to refuel and nourish (and I find that breakfast is my biggest meal for this), I try to keep it as natural as I can.

Okay, enough of that rant…..

Lunch had to be quickly consumed due to back to back afternoon meetings. I packed things that I knew I would be able to eat fast and without much mess.

Leftover Black bean and Mango Salad with carrots. Okios, strawberries, kiwi and Zoe’s Granola with Chiai seeds on top.

Since Toly was preoccupied with the AC until after work, I skipped the gym and did my own cross training workout at home. I did a quick but effective 30 min strength workout. 20 min warm up on the ET, and 10 min of various strength exercises. (Push-ups, Squats, Front Leg Kicks with Military Press, Dumb Bell Row backs, walking push-ups, planks...etc.) Nice, sufficient, quick and got the job done!

Dinner tonight was super delicious! We grilled in the glorious warm weather.

Just look at my grill master. My very own Bobby Flay!


Organic TJ’s Chicken Sausage (Mushroom Asiago flavor) – did I mention how much I adore these things?
Marvelous salad; grilled peaches, asparagus, red onion on top of romaine, yellow tomatoes, cabbage, radish and cucumber. A little goat cheese on top and consider me in love!
Juicy sweet watermelon

Just to show you all how I prepare my grilled veggies/fruit before grilling. I slice up the veggies of choice, salt and pepper them and then marinate them in a mixture of Raspberry Balsamic, Dijon, Garlic and a touch of Agave. I have found this to be the very best marinade for grilled veggies and or fruits.

All together now...

Toly's plate is a bit more manly....

Ah, such a refreshing meal. I love these summer-grill menus. I know it’s possible to make them all year round, but it’s just not the same. Cooking on our Weber and eating them outside just exerts those unparalleled summer endorphins that only occur for these 3 months out of the year. I will savor these days as much as possible! ;)

Well I feel so much more accomplished today and think I shall end the day on a great note. I am going to get to bed early, get a good nights rest and wake up tomorrow with the same positive outlook!

Hope everyone is well.

Don’t forget to enter my POM Wonderful Giveaway. You only have one more day!

13 comments:

  1. That is awesome that the flax has had such a positive response in terms of your energy levels and hunger! I will have to start adding more to my diet! Love grilling- everything seems to taste that much better, doesn't it?

    Thank you for the very sweet words about our wedding pics! I went to Penn State and Josh is from the Philly area! His parents recently move to TN so we don't get up that way too often any more except to visit Josh's high school friends! We may be in the area later this summer though- I will let you know for sure. I'd love to meet you!

    Glad your mouth is feeling better!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your sweet comment over at my blog!

    Your grilled dinner looks awesome. I LOVE grilling fresh food!

    And big purchases that you can't play with... totally unfair! But glad you'll be cool and energy efficient at the same time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah flax is amazing isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the grilled menu :) summer eats are one of my favorite things about summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh I am so glad your mouth is FINALLY starting to feel better. It's been quite the rough journey, hasn't it? :/

    Glad the flax and no HFCS is working for you! Your grilled dinner looks delicious, and I'm so happy today was a better day :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's amazing how big of an effect your diet has on your energy levels/mood huh?

    I'm not a big sausage person but chicken and from TJs?? You're lucky you have a TJs even 1 hour away though--some people don't have them at all! hehe

    The pizza got delayed--I'll let you know how it goes when I make it though! I want to try it with hummus so badly but I'm not sure my aunt and uncle would be too open to that. Bummer.

    Glad you're week is looking better already!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi Lauren!! OH MAN you guys look like you had SUCH a yummy grilled dinner!! I love your plate of goodies of course. hehee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, I hate big purchases like that that you can't even really enjoy. Necessary evil, I guess. Imagine not having it! ;) On the plus side, your chicken sausage dinner looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's one of the worst things about home ownership, is all the repairs! Love the dinner. Mmmm grill!

    ReplyDelete
  10. grilled food is my favorite!! well, maybe not my fav... I adore japanese, vietnamese, thai, and indian..........BUT it is soooooooo good!! and so yummy for summer! I am always craving hot dogs/brats/sausages this time of year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey girl, a question for you.

    Where do you find a TJs close to where you live? I think I remember where you live and I'd love to know if there's a TJs anywhere in the area...ya know...in case I ever move back to Pa. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay for tasty eats...they all look phenomenal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So I have some milled flax too, but have been afraid it will be too...mealy and grainy? I'll give it another try, though.

    And yeah. Home and car repairs...Just sucks! I've spent a total of $6000 on car repairs until my last accident in which we had to sell it...for $2000. Urgh!

    ReplyDelete