Friday, July 3, 2009

Surprises In My Cereal

Even though most of the world is celebrating a 3 day weekend, I was unfortunate to have to be one of the few who clocked in normal hours at the grind today. Oh well, work wasn’t actually that bad. I treated myself to lunch with a friend which was quite nice. We went to a wonderful little café called Juice and Java. I actually use to work there in high school so I know this place like the back of my hand. I can still recite all of the recipes for the smoothies and latte drinks. The owner is a total health nut and actually introduced to some of the wonderful components that I use today, like wheat grass and stevia.

There was one new addition on the menu; however, that I was THRILLED beyond belief to see. The Green Machine!!!! Just like a green monster. Oh, it was heaven. A blend of wheat grass, spinach, eucalyptus, apple, banana, and carrot. It was perfect.

Toly was going to join me at the gym tonight, but when I got home from work, he was fast asleep on the couch, and I couldn't bring myself to wake him. Friday’s are my “off” days from running, so it’s nice to be able to give those muscles a break and work on strengthening the others.

Workout Recap:
20 min- Speed Hill Walk (12% incline, 5.5 mph)
30 pushups
3 sets Shoulder Press (40 lbs, 12 reps)
3 sets Leg Curls (30 lbs, 12 reps)
3 sets Bicep Curls (30 lbs. 12 reps)

Great 30 min workout!

Toly has been requesting Sloppy Joes for some time now, so I of course had to comply. I have a few recipes for sloppy joes, some of which include, the original, buffalo, and veggie; but tonight, I wanted to give a new version a try. I made an Apricot BBQ sauce that consisted of Ketchup, Apricot Jam, Chopped Apricots, Orange Juice, Worcestershire sauce, and white wine vinegar.

For the joe’s, I sautéed some onion, garlic and celery with ground turkey breast and salt and pepper. Then I added the sauce and let this cook to thicken for a few min.


I served them on Honey Wheat English Muffins with some spinach.

Side dishes: Butternut Squash Fries, (Waffle Fries for Toly) and a black bean, mango and avacado salad. (Toly is having a Russian Beet salad that his mom made).

Very Delish!



Tonight is a rather relaxed Friday night. Toly is going to a Rock Band Party at our friend’s house, but I opted out. I’ve been exhausted all week (I blame it on the drugs) and the party wasn’t starting until after 9pm. I was more into an early bedtime, especially with a full day tomorrow!
Tomorrow morning, I have a shorter than usual long run planned due to time constraints. I am taking my sister out to breakfast for her birthday! We are going to The Hershey Pantry, which by far, is the absolute best place in the world to go for breakfast. The baked oatmeal is UNBELIEVABLE and I literally have dreams about how good it is. She has been dying to try this place for months, so we have been excited beyond belief to finally be able to go.

After breaks, Toly and I are headed out for our day in Mt. Gretna , mountain hiking. I can’t wait!

But before I go, as promised, I want to leave you all with the list of Power Nutrients from Jillian Michael’s “Boost Your Metabolism” book. The following is a list of Power Nutrients that you should consume as often as possible. A Power Nutrient is a food that can dramatically improve the quality and duration of your life.

Here they are….



  1. Legumes (BEST Choice: beans)

  2. Alliums (garlic, onions, leeks, chives, scallions) (BEST chocie: Garlic)

  3. Berries (BEST choice: Blueberries)

  4. Meat and eggs (BEST choice: Salmon)

  5. Colorful fruits and vegetables (BEST choice: tomatoes)

  6. Cruciferous veggies (BEST choice: broccoli)

  7. Dark-green Leafy veggies (BEST choice: Spinach)

  8. Nuts and seeds (BEST choice: Almonds and walnuts)

  9. Organic Dairy (BEST choice: organic low-fat plain yogurt)

  10. Whole grains (BEST choice: oats and barley)


Sounds like a great list to me! How many of you would say you eat all or most of these every day? I think I do a pretty good job.

Oh and by the way, I noticed this morning that a few of my cereals contain HFCS! It’s a good thing I looked because they are some that I would have never even thought would contain this such as Kellog’s All Bran, and Total Rain Bran. I really only eat these on occasion and usually stick to the Kashi or organic brands, but it just goes to show how deceiving the so-called “health foods” can be. Don’t get me wrong, these cereals do contain other good nutrients and a ton of fiber that are all great things; but now that I know that they also contain HFCS, I just think I will stay away from buying them on a regular basis and stick with the organic as much as possible.

See, making simple conscious efforts to achieving a better overall prospective; that’s all it takes! :)

Have an incredible weekend!!

Happy 4th of July!!!!


PS- Who wants some free TJ stuff? Ummmm, ME!!!!!!!

And if that's not enough, check this one out...

Amazing Grass Giveway at Danica's Daily

7 comments:

  1. yay! From that list, I must be uber-healthy :-)
    Apricot BBQ sauce? oh wow...and those sloppy joes looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, everything has high fructose corn syrup in it....*sigh* the best we can do is try, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your apricot bbq sauce is a brilliant twist on sloppy joes hon, love it!

    I think you must be the dearest wife to Toly. :)

    You getting better yet sweets?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you tried the recipe!! And the apricot BBQ sauce sounds soooo good!!

    I'd say I almost incorporate everything in that list, except for meat and eggs :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the Amazing Grass contest shout out. It looks like you are having a fabulous 4th with a ton of "fun" exercise :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh that cafe sounds fabulous. That's so cool that they had a green monster. Your sloppy joes look great! And I love b-nut squash fries :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that list was great!

    How do you make butternut squash fries?

    ReplyDelete