Monday, April 20, 2009

My First Trip To TJ's...PRICELESS!

Oh my goodness! I had my first experience of Trader Joe's today and all I can say is, I am totally hooked! It truly amazes me that I once lived literally a few blocks from this place when I went to Towson U, and I didn't even know it existed! Amazing.

So for years I have been hearing rave reviews of this unique organic little shop and it's always been on my radar to check out. I think I've mentioned before that my dad and I share a weird passion for eclectic grocery shopping. One of our favorite things to do is to spend the entire day roaming around the state looking for odd little stores and markets where we find unusual foodie buys. We LOVE it! It's our special "father/daughter" bonding time that no one else would ever understand.

It's been awhile since we've had the chance to indulge in one of our trips, so on this rainy Monday, (while the boy is away) we decided to take this opportunity. When I told him about Trader Joes and how it was only about an hour away, he promptly responded with "I'm in!"

After seeing soooo many great products on your blogs, I knew I needed to do a little research before I went into this place blindly. Special thanks to Kelsey and Lauren for giving me some great tips on must-have products.

After a considerable time searching the small little store, with a few trips up and down each aisle (I didn't want to miss a thing), I finally made my decisions. Here is an overview of all my wonderful finds...



My thoughts- TJ's is awesome! This place has some of the most unique food finds and its all organic and natural. I wanted to buy so much more, and both my dad and I agreed that we will be returning in the very near future.

Okay so obviously I wanted to tear into every single thing I bought to sample so dinner tonight was going to be so hard to choose. I eventually came up with a mixture of a few of my new products.

The highlights were these....

Grilled Marinated Eggplant and Zucchini, Roasted Eggplant and Garlic Spread, and White Bean and Basil hummus.

I heated up the squash to top a beautiful salad which consisted of romaine, roasted broccoli, snap peas, sun dried tomatoes, sweet pickles, avocado and tossed in a new TJ dressing (Champagne Pear with Gorgonzola, come on how good does that sound?) Added a spoon of the hummus and a spoon of the eggplant spread and WOW, insanely good salad.

I also heated up a cup of Amy's Split Pea soup and added a few TBL. of the eggplant spread (it said on the jar it goes wonderfully in soups). The jar did not lie. It added so much flavor to this can of soup!

I can't wait to try everything else and hope to return very soon to pick up everything I didn't get around to getting today.

In other news, my best friend Jen gave birth to an incredibly beautiful and amazing little girl. Emily Grace was born on 4/18, 6 lbs. .05oz. And if birth isn't miraculous enough, you wouldn't believe how this one came into this world. Jen delivered her at home, in her own bathtub (not planned of course). This is probably one of the most crazy labor stories I have ever heard of, but all I can say is Jen, you are AMAZING girl! Both mom and baby are doing great and Emily is truly perfect!

Congratulations Jen, Brian and Connor and welcome baby Emily! We love you!!! :)

One more day and then I am off to CA to meet my hubby and enjoy a week of vacationing on the sunny west coast. I still have to finish up packing and figure out how I can get all of my toiletries into my carry on without being confiscated. (I'm not checking my luggage and trying to just take a small one to carry on, but I'm beginning to think this is going to be more difficult that I imagined). Anyone have tips on flying without checking luggage? I would love to hear them!

Have a great day tomorrow!

PS- CONGRATULATION Bobbi for running in the Boston Marathon today. And Happy Birthday Girl! You seriously rock!

8 comments:

  1. Yay for a successful & fun trip to TJ's. Looks like you picked up some yummy loot :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO excited for you right now!!!!

    I've never seen the roasted + grilled veggies-- They look soooo good!!

    I'll keep better tabs on my purchases + keep you updated!!

    + I love love love love that you + your dad have a grocery store bonding! My dad + I do too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw welcome baby Emily!!!

    I AM SO JEALOUS!!! I think the closest TJ's to me is like 600 miles away boohoo. :(

    And you seriously had the sweetest comment on my blog - you are amazing and so uplifting, thank you so much girl!!

    Can't wait to hear stories of your time in CA!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have yet to experience TJs!! But it looks like you got quite a nice stash : ) YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw your comment on Meghann's blog - where in LA are you staying? Long Beach-LA is about a 20 mile drive, depending on where you're staying. Anaheim-Long Beach is also about a 20 mile drive.

    I love TJ's!

    I'm going to read the rest of your blog now :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Only an hour to TJ's, boy am I jealous! the closest one to us is 4 hours drive.... and we really stock up! They say there might be one coming to our closest city in 2010- I sure hope so.
    And about baking. It is really easy-I mean it - really easy. Take the time to follow the instructions carefully, and measure properly. Start with easy things and work up to complex ones.
    It is well worth knowing how to do and not sweating about it. it can be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kelsey- I love that recipe for the eggplant. I am definitely going to try it next week.

    Lindsey- I totally meant it girl. You are such an inspiration. :)

    LA Daze- Thanks for the info! I've never been to CA, so I really have no idea of where anything is?!?!

    Nancy- I hope you get that TJ's because you will fall in love!
    Aww, you are too sweet, but seriously, I think I am cursed against baking. I'm really okay with this though and I have accepted it fully! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Trader Joe is famous and mentioned in a lot of food blogs

    ReplyDelete