Friday, February 20, 2009

Friday Reflections: Balance

Happy Glorious Friday everyone!

Even though this was only a 4 day work week for me, it still seemed to drag so I am more than ready to get the weekend started. Tonight we are going to our friend’s house for dinner and games so I will have to catch up on that post tomorrow.

As promised, I am going to continue with my regular Friday Reflection posts and being that it is Friday, I thought I would dive right in.

Today’s topic that I wanted to touch on is the importance of balance in your life. Balance is one of those words that can be interpreted differently based on one’s own perception. For me, balance is always a word that has held intricate meaning for many different reasons, mainly because it is something that I have had to work extremely hard at to achieve.

To me, finding a solid balance in life is one of the most vital facets and for some, it’s easy, and others, it’s extremely difficult. If at any point, we are thrown off balance, it can seem almost impossible to get back that stability. I often struggle with finding the balance in all areas of my life- I want to be the best wife, a worthy daughter, a dependable friend, a commendable worker while living the most purposeful and healthy life that I possibly can. But, is this truly possible? Can we, as humans, do it all?

Well, the answer is no. We certainly can not be the greatest or are we expected to be flawless; however, so many of us inundate ourselves with the mentality that perfection is obtainable and become discourage when it is not reached.

A few years ago, I was thrown off balance. I became unhealthy, unhappy and felt so far disconnected from a normal life. It took me quite a long time to teach myself that I could find balance once again. You see, the problem wasn’t that I didn’t know balance was there, I just didn’t know how to teach myself to believe that I could live with it.

In order to live a healthy life, one needs to believe in a balance between food, exercise, and overall wellness. If you are trying to loose weight, it’s unrealistic to say that you will NEVER eat a piece of cake for the rest of your life or to believe that you can create a world free of temptation or indulgences. It’s IMPOSSIBLE!! Bottom line, you will eat cake and you will actually enjoy it. But, here is where the balance part comes in, you will also eat wonderful vegetables and get plenty of exercise too.

We are not expected to live with an “all or nothing” mentality. Just remember, we can always be doing more or doing better at something, but the point is, if we are content with what we have and what we have done-that is all that truly matters.

Someone very important to me once said a few words that I will always hold close to my heart. These words just seemed to stick and every time I get discouraged that I am not being the best I can be, I think of this. She said, “Why would you ever tell yourself that you DON’T deserve something that you want? That is the same thing as telling yourself you aren’t worthy enough.” How true! We are our toughest critics and when we tell ourselves that we don’t deserve something over and over, we will eventually not only believe that it is true, we will deprive ourselves from some of the most wonderful things this life has to offer.

Balance, to me, is the feeling that all things are good in moderation, nothing is ever off-limits, and life is too short not to enjoy the guilty pleasures. It took me a long time to find balance again, but now that I realize and believe that it is possible, I could never go back to a shaky and miserable prospective.

What does balance mean to you???


0 comments:

Post a Comment